Exclusive: Sussex student who hosted on-campus party for 100 people gets fined £200

The police were called to campus around 2:25am on Sunday morning

Instagram page, ‘I’m just Brighton‘ shared a short video and a photograph of an on-campus party which happened Saturday night.

Allegedly, it was reported that over 100 students gathered in the halls of residence before campus security and Sussex police were called. The host was given a £200 fine.

One spokesperson from the University of Sussex exclusively spoke to The Sussex Tab about the party. They stated: “The vast majority of students who are living on our campus are following the lockdown rules. We have been reminding students right from the start of the academic year that visitors are not allowed in residences – this is more important now than ever. The safety of our students, our staff and our community is imperative.

“Sussex Police and the university have made it clear that gathering in university residences, with people who are not in household bubbles, is absolutely forbidden. The university will also be taking all necessary action in relation to these recent unacceptable disruptions.”

Sam, a second year student, shared his frustrations and anger toward the students who went to the social event. He exclusively told The Sussex Tab: “I think it’s a disgrace. The university should investigate it and punish them severely. Part of it is the university’s fault for being too loose. We’re not children. We’re all in the same boat, lockdown is depressing for all of us but it’s because of those selfish people that we’re still in lockdown.

“What makes me angry is those who attended the party are amongst the people who play the victim when it comes to government measures. The virus took two of my loves ones. It is not a joke.”

A spokesperson from Sussex Police told The Sussex Tab: “Police were called to a large gathering of students at the University of Sussex accommodation at 2:25am on Sunday 10th January. Officers attended and the group were swiftly dispersed back to their respective blocks. A man identified to host the gathering was issued with a £200 Fixed Penalty Notice.

“Sussex Police reminds the public that restrictions are there to keep them safe. Where there are blatant breaches, officers will take enforcement action. Local communities are urged to continue to follow the regulations to curb the spread of the virus and help save lives.”

Sussex Police also confirmed that three fines have been issued.