Image may contain: Kicking, Sitting, Person, People, Human

Seven things no-one tells you about third year that you really ought to know

Here’s a few secrets third years have been keeping from you

How is it already third year? Freshers seems so long ago, everything has changed and I think i'm getting grey hair.

One of the worst things about third year is that third year students don't warn what it's actually going to be like, and it isn't all about graduating and becoming independent. Here are seven things no-one tells you about being a third year that you really should know.

You don't recognise as many people on campus as you thought you would

It's third year, so there should be tons of familiar faces on campus right? Wrong. Why does being a third year come with feeling like a fresher surrounded by so many random faces you've literally never seen on campus before?

It seems like more second years are hanging around library square, buses, Falmer Bar, etc. So, technically, it makes sense why you may feel like a newbie in familiar territory, but that doesn't excuse the fact that it's so weird and unexpected.

Your once large friendship group is now much smaller

Your once 15-person friend group has suddenly just become five. This doesn't necessarily mean you've lost these friends it may just been that throughout second year, the summer of second year and the beginning of third year your once large friend group has just progressively splintered into many little groups.

Pair that with the fact that so many of your friends are on placement years or studying abroad, and you have a full blown downsizing situation on your hands.

Image may contain: Club, Party, Person, People, Human

Second Year

Image may contain: Performer, Musician, Musical Instrument, Music, Leisure Activities, Night Life, Tartan, Skirt, Plaid, Kilt, Clothing, Person, People, Human

By Third Year

Even then, you never see your friends

We've all been there, signing a contract and moving in with a group of your "friends" for your second year only to come to realise you really don't know these people (and might not even really like them).

So, finally the time has come where you find yourself living with the people you actually do like, except you never get to see them. Different schedules and late library sessions can have you away from your housemates for days on end until you randomly bump into them in the kitchen.

Having loads of spare time, but also none at all

This one is probably the weirdest one. For some reason in third year it just never feels like you have time for anything, due to the constant assignments, seminar work, applications, etc.

It just constantly feels like you have one thing to do after another. But you also may not have many contact hours, so it's also just a lot of you floating around looking for stuff/work to fill your time with. Yet, through all this you still manage to have four hours a day for Netflix?

Freshers' Flu

This is the biggest scam of all of my three years. Why does everyone always talk about freshers' flu like it only happens during the beginning of your freshers period because "you don't know how to take care of yourself yet", but why am I in my third year and still suffering from freshers' flu? Why doesn't anyone ever tell you that you don't outgrow this terrible period during your uni years?

Image may contain: Drink, Beverage, Alcohol, Person, People, Human, Vase, Pottery, Potted Plant, Plant, Jar, Flora

Becoming an OAP student

So freshers' fever has officially died down after two years and the idea of going on a night out makes your back ache. Suddenly you may realise that you've definitely outgrown drunken nights on the Brighton beach strip.

Your body just can't seem to take the drama like it used to! Third year you would much rather take a warm night in with a warm drink over throwing up outside in the queue to Pryzm. Congrats, you're getting old!

At least there is solidarity between all third years

Okay so third years don't usually hide this one, but it's importance is definitely not touched on enough. One of the few things that will get you through such a hard year is the feeling of solidarity that comes with knowing everyone around you is suffering the same.

Those little breaks to chat in the library or run-ins with your friends on campus might just be what keeps you sane through this tough period. Finding the humour in truly is the best way to get through these trying times!

Runaway Fridays photo courtesy of Rox Promotions.