Brighton Uni introduces ‘Wellbeing Cupboards’

Free tampons and condoms for everyone!

Every student knows the struggle of trying to stretch your pitiful maintenance loan to cover the costs of rent, weekly food shops, club entry after 11pm and the "occasional" hangover-curing takeaway. But for some, adding in the costs of contraception and sanitary products is a whole other issue.

The University of Brighton is attempting to tackle this matter, recently announcing that they will be introducing new "Wellbeing Cupboards" in each of their five campuses.

The cupboards will include pregnancy tests, bio-friendly tampons and pads, lube, condoms, dental dams and drink spikeys. Brighton's Students' Union have been the drivers behind this new initiative, ensuring that the new cupboards will be freely accessible to all students in the hope that it will increase the safety of their students.

Amy, Vice President of Welfare and Campaigns at the University of Brighton's SU, spoke to the Brighton Journal about why this scheme is important to her: "As well as saving students money I hope the cupboards can help break the stigma that can sometimes be associated with such products.

"Periods and sex shouldn’t be taboo subjects and as adults, we should all be informed how to lead our lives safely and cost effectively."

The British government has previously sparked debate after labelling sanitary products as a "luxurious, non-essential item", with many calling for such products to be made free nationwide.

Commenting on how she feels about the growing movement, Amy said: "I am really pleased to see that some businesses and companies across the country are beginning to recognise sanitary products are not a luxury. I was so pleased to visit the AMEX stadium recently and see they stock free sanitary products."

Alongside local businesses, some high-street retailers have also scrapped the controversial "tampon-tax" in order to sanitary products more affordable to those that need them and Brighton University's new "Wellbeing Cupboards" scheme further combats this problem.