Image may contain: Troop, Team, Soldier, Military Uniform, Military, Army, Crowd, Sled, Bobsled, Toy, Kite, Text, Person, People, Human, Banner

Dates have been announced for four weeks of Sussex University strikes

You will be missing out on valuable contact hours

Sussex University's teaching staff shall be taking part in pension strikes and no, you won't be receiving any money back for the teaching hours you're losing.

These are the dates that shall be affecting Sussex:

– Week one: February 22 & 23 (Thursday and Friday: two days)

– Week two: February 26, 27 and 28 (Monday, Tuesday and Wednesday: three days)

– Week three – Monday 5, Tuesday 6, Wednesday 7 and Thursday 8 March

– Week four – Monday 12, Tuesday 13, Wednesday 14, Thursday 15 and Friday 16 March

The UCU, one of the biggest teaching unions in the UK, opposed pension changes and issued a ballot to 68 universities calling for strike action. Sussex itself had a turnout at 61.7 per cent, meaning a total of 404 out of the eligible 655 members took part in the vote.

Out of these 404, 91.6 per cent voted in favour of strike action.

A Spokesperson from Susssex University said;

“If there is any Union action at Sussex, our focus will be to minimise any disruption to our students’ education. We will ensure that we share information on any developments and campus arrangements with both students and staff.”

The conflict revolves around the Universities UK's (UUK) proposals to end the defined benefit element of the Universities Superannuation Scheme (USS) pension scheme. UCU estimate that, on average, this would leave a typical lecturer losing out on ten thousand pounds a year during retirement.

A UCU statement read: "During these times, staff members will not be answering emails, taking lectures or seminars or marking any work".

Agreements are still attempting to be made before strike action, in order to come to a positive solution for everyone.