St Andrews Union cancels St Paddy’s Day celebration because of coronavirus

Guess I’ll drink my Guinness in quarantine

The University of St Andrews Union has cancelled its St Patrick’s Day celebration event tonight due to the coronavirus pandemic.

The event was planned to span all floors of the Student Union and Club 601. The Union will now close at 9pm on Friday the 13th and 7pm from Saturday the 14th of March.

In a Facebook post, the Union said all refunds would be processed today, and that society spaces and Rector’s Cafe would remain open on Saturday.

The University recently confirmed its first positive case of coronavirus.

As several social events across campus face cancellation, different departments are gearing up for remote learning after spring break.

The full post reads: “In response to the ongoing situation concerning the Coronavirus pandemic we have made the difficult decision to cancel our all building St Patrick’s Day Party this evening and to close the Union from 9pm.

“After careful consideration and consultation with the University, we have made this call as the safety of our students and staff is of paramount importance; please note we will process all refunds today, allow two working days for the money to be refunded to your bank account.

“Society spaces and Rector’s Café will remain open on Saturday 14th from 9am until 7pm, although the bar will remain closed and we will continue to update yourunion.net and our social media pages with information of our operating hours.

“We would like to thank you for your patience and understanding and would like to remind all students that you can visit the University’s information page, or if you would like to contact us directly please email [email protected]