Image may contain: Smile, Portrait, Face, Person, People, Human

Developments in the Duncan Sim missing persons case

Police are appealing after sightings of a man in the Kinkell Braes area near East Sands at around 3am

Fife Police Division have issued a new statement regarding information which has come to light about Duncan's disappearance on Wednesday 14th March.

In a statement made on Facebook they said : "Officers are appealing for information as they work to establish the full circumstances surrounding a sighting of a man in St Andrews in the early hours of Thursday 15 March.

"The man, described as around 6ft tall and with dark-coloured hair, was reported to have been seen standing in the water at around 3am near to Kinkell Braes."

The police are now looking to trace this person and are working to ascertain if this sighting is connected to Duncan Sim who was last seen outside Madras Rugby Club on Old Station Road on Wednesday 14th March at roughly 11:15pm.

Chief Inspector Steven Hamilton, Local Area Commander for North East Fife, issued a statement saying: “We're working to establish if this sighting may be connected to Duncan's disappearance and are asking for the public's help as part of this.

"Our inquiries to date do not support Duncan having travelled to the East Sands area, however, we are committed to pursuing all possible lines of enquiry in order to trace him.

“I would urge anyone who may have been in the East Sands area around 3am on Thursday 15 March and fits this description, or who saw anyone matching this description, to come forward as soon as possible.

“It has now been almost two weeks since Duncan was last seen and extensive enquiries have been undertaken throughout St Andrews to establish his whereabouts.

“This has included analysing CCTV footage and speaking to over 200 people to gather information.

“Again, I would appeal to the public in the St Andrews area to think back to the late hours of Wednesday 14 March and early hours of Thursday 15 March and contact us if they may have seen Duncan, or a man matching his description.

“Similarly, anyone with information relevant to our inquiry is urged to get in contact immediately.”

The message urges that anyone with information about Duncan's disappearance should contact Police Scotland via 101 and quote incident number 2987 of 15th March.