Reviewed: The St Andrews Revue Presents LOOP

A potentially endless sketch show. I was only disappointed when it actually ended.

The St Andrews Revue was back for one night only, bringing us endless laughter in LOOP, part of the On the Rocks student art festival. A brief hiatus has kept this hilarious bunch out of St Andrews, but they have returned to the Byre mainstage performing past and new jokes.

The three extremely talented men of the St Andrews Revue starred in this show about three sketch comedians trying to find a way out of the endless show. Unending laughs filled the entire show, which unfortunately had not sold out unlike previous years – a loss only to those who did not attend. No joke fell flat and there was not a single dead moment in which the audience was unimpressed with the actors.

Photo courtesy of the St Andrews Revue.

This show took on many classic tropes and made it their own. Highlights include a time traveller kissing Hitler when he misunderstood that he should kill Hitler, a boy ‘coming out’ to his gay father—as a sketch comedian, Adam and Eve’s general opposition to the creation of the pinky toe, how the planets feel about human space travel (Mars is rather annoyed with the probing), and a Mayan sacrifice of an audience member in attempt to stop the continuous show.

When it was thought that the show was finally over and the comedians were able to break out of the constant loop of sketch shows, it started all over again. If the show had continued as if the audience was now part of the endless sketch show – I would have stayed seated and watched it again.