November Gig Guide

Four live acts to soundtrack the next four weeks

So it’s week 7. It’s that time of the semester when nothing much beyond the four walls of the library, your classrooms and your bedroom exists, and you’re listening to a few feel-good tracks on repeat to get you through the day. The deadlines are creeping ever closer no matter how much you try and forget about them, and the days are getting colder and darker. If, like me, you’re starting to question what the word fun means, and you’re struggling to remember if there are real life people out there that actually play instruments, then this small selection of what’s happening outside of the bubble this month on the live music scene should remind you. Yep, fun is still out there, and there are ways to escape the gloom and procrastinate that little bit more with the help of a few beers and a good crowd.

Dream away your November blues with The Growlers

1st November – Ctrl*Alt*Defeat Halloween Party Ft. ZOMBIE NATION – Reading Rooms, Dundee

CTRL ALT DEFEAT are hosting a zombie-themed Halloween special at Reading Rooms with Zombie Nation this weekend. If you’re into your techno, he’s sure to bring back some nineties nostalgia with his chart hit Kernkraft 400, featuring something that sounds like a drum machine on a high dose of caffeine.

5th November – CHVRCHES – Edinburgh Corn Exchange, Edinburgh

Glasgow-based electro pop trio Chvrches are back on home turf, playing Edinburgh and Glasgow after a very busy year touring the United States. They’re still riding the buzz of their debut album’s success, so be sure to catch them before they set off for far flung shores again later in the month. They’ll be supported by Lizzo.

15th November – The Growlers – Broadcast, Glasgow

Dreaming of sun, sea and surf? Not your typical combination in Scotland, granted, but look no further than this self proclaimed “Beach Goth” band hailing from California to capture the vibe. Their sounds of surf, stone, and psychedelia will make you feel like you’re partying in a 70’s surf club, but make sure you fight the urge to wear a Hawaiian shirt.

21st and 22nd November – The Jesus and Mary Chain – Barrowland, Glasgow

The Scottish scuzz outfit are celebrating the 30th anniversary of their 1985 album, Psychocandy, and they’re going to play it live in its entirety for two nights only. This is not one to miss if you can help it.

Happy November, St Andrews!

Photo Credit – Wikimedia Commons