SHAG week is here!

And no, it does not mean that we are literally about to get down and dirty for week 5…

SHAG week is an opportunity to learn about consensual and safe sex.

If you are in doubt about whether or not to go to the events, then take a look at the Superdrug Sexual Health Report Card from April 2014, which ranks 50 UK universities on their sexual health efforts. St Andrews ranked a shocking 41st place, scoring dreadfully at sexual health information, sexual health clinic operational hours, and sexual health events and STI testing.

These are all critical health initiatives to maintain the health of the student body. It is crucial that the university has readily available STI testing and sexual health clinic options that the students are aware of, and know how and when to use.

This year, SHAG week has a wide range of events lined up to give St Andrews students information on having safe and consensual sex. The keynote event tonight is called ‘The Sext Generation.’ It’s a free event with speakers talking about different topics of sexuality, taking place at 6.30 pm in the Buchannan Lecture Theatre. Most interestingly, Dr Daniel Guinness, founding member of the Oxford’s Good Lad Workshop, will be addressing the issue of lad culture and sexual consent in a university setting. One of the students behind the event, Olly Lennard, points out that SHAG week is important in learning about both ‘physically and socially healthy sexual practices’. Furthermore, he says that the most essential thing about SHAG week is to convey a message of wanting ‘everyone who wants to have sex, to have lots of fun, awesome sex. Some people are asexual or not sexually active and that’s equally as good, but for all the sex that does happen, we’d like it to be fun and safe’.

Other SHAG week events can be found here and involve more light-hearted themes of sexuality, including topics such as BDSM, dirty talk and sex toys. Don’t forget the free goodie bags that will be given out at the Main Library from 10 am on Tuesday, which will also contain information on sexuality, safe sex and consent.

And while we’re on the topic, here is some great information on where and when to get tested for STIs or to have a chat with a sexual health worker:

Student services offer an NHS contraception and Sexual Health Clinic during term time. This can be found at Eden Court (The Scores), and it runs every Tuesday from 12.30 pm – 4.30 pm. Please note that you may not get an appointment on the day, and that appointments can be made by going to the clinic on Tuesdays between 12.30 and 2.30.

Alternatively, the Community hospital in St Andrews is a GUM clinic and can offer a full STI screening, every Friday from 10.00 am – 13.00 pm, by appointment only. They also offer contraception and sexual health appointments every Friday between 9.00 am – 12.00 noon.

Or why not make a trip out of it? Bring your friends and take the bus out of Fife and visit the Dundee Sexual Health Clinic at Ninewells. They offer drop-in sessions every day of the week, Monday from 13.30 pm – 16.00 pm, and Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday from 13.30 pm – 17.00 pm. Do of course remember to show up early for a drop-in session. Booked appointments are in the morning.

Image courtesy of http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/Category:Condoms#mediaviewer/File:Overview_condoms_of_different_brands.jpg