The Importance of the Importance of Being Earnest

The Byre is back.

Staged to set the recently resurrected Byre Theatre ablaze, this November’s production of Oscar Wilde’s magnum opus ushers in a new era for St. Andrews student theatre. Birthed when director Ed Fry “got drunk in [co­director Cara Mahoney’s] house” on Bonfire night last year, the collaboration has been nurtured by producer Emily Rogers (who has been the “anchor to their uncontrollable masts”) ever since.

There has already been a lot of interest. An overwhelming eighty­-seven people auditioned for nine roles. The promising cast sees some of the stalwarts of Mermaids theatre come together with some readily welcomed fresh faces, but its setting is what’s truly exciting. Since the Byre’s closure in early 2013, the majority of productions have been performed in the basic, black­ box Barron Theatre; the tiny black abyss of North Street, where set design remains constrained and a full house is no more than fifty. A change then, are the boards of the Byre, which seats well over 200 before its significantly bigger stage. Not to say that size is everything, but the extra space should give casts more to work with technically and, more importantly, more of an outreach.

With the Byre now in University hands for the foreseeable future (25 years, to be exact), there is a hope that there may be room for the local residents of St. Andrews to get involved, benefiting town­-gown relations and the general good – clichés firmly intended.

Perfect then, is Earnest, the farce of all farces, for this purpose. Serving as the directorial introduction of Fry and Mahoney and the reintroduction of a timeless classic, Earnest should inspire, ignite and entertain. But the team remains humble. “We’re not trying to imitate anything or tear walls down” explained Mahoney “but we’re not trying to be revolutionary. We’re not aiming to change the world, we just want people to have fun.” There will be a swing, perhaps a tree, definitely no live animals, and likely cucumber sandwiches at the interval. Stay tuned, St. Andreans, thespians, citizens, for the Byre back in action and everything that means.

Make sure to catch The Importance of Being Earnest at the Byre, November 6th – 8th.