Five things to do this week

October has crept upon us silently, and although it may be tempting to stay indoors away from the wind and rain, try to venture out and make the most of this week’s events

bindi blackhistorymonth wineandcheese

1. Make the most of Black History Month

October marks the beginning of Black History Month, and St Andrews is celebrating with numerous events throughout the next few weeks, so watch this space. On Tuesday October 7th the African-Caribbean Society is hosting a slam poetry event entitled One Mic Stand (what a pun!) at the Union, and if you want to take part, comment on the Facebook event or email [email protected]. Additionally, FilmSoc is embracing African-Caribbean culture by playing the film ‘Half of a Yellow Sun’ on Thursday at 19:00 in School 2.

2. Wine and dine at Cottage Kitchen

The St Andrews Africa Summit is collaborating with St Art Magazine and the Wine and Cheese Society on Tuesday October 7th at Cottage Kitchen. All the wine and cheese will be of African origin, and they’ve even promised displays of photography from Cairo to the Cape, well aware that guests will want to be stimulated artistically while sipping from their glasses. Tickets are £10 for members, £15 for non-members, and can be purchased on the door – I’ve heard through the African grape vine that there’s going to be Biltong! Come on meat lovers, you can’t miss out on those pieces of cured perfection!

Students enjoying Wine & Cheese’s first event this year

3. Get your business brains on

This Thursday the Careers Centre is holding the first of its Enterprise Thursdays, a series of workshops, meet the entrepreneur and networking sessions, which aims to introduce students to the world of business and encourage them to start thinking about their own enterprising ambitions. Dawn Shand, Regional Business Adviser with SIE and Christopher McCann, founder of snap40, are heading the first session, and their entrepreneurial success will have you brainstorming business ideas as soon as you’re out the door.

4. Re-affiliate your society

Friday October 10th is the deadline for society re-affiliation, meaning that all societies need to complete the required paperwork and hand it into the Union’s reception desk by 17:00. St Andrews has over 150 societies, each one individual and important in its own right, and it would be a great shame if yours was one of those forced to disband just because you forgot to file a few bits of paper.

5. Boogie at Bindi

On Friday October 10th Sanskriti Society is bringing back Bindi, the first in a series of Bollywood-themed parties held annually at the Scores Hotel. Tickets are £6 for members, £8 for non-members, a really good price for access to Bollywood beats and DJ set, so make sure you get one once ticket sales are announced.

A student breaking out his exceptional Bollywood moves at Bindy, Sitara’s launch party in February

Images courtesy of www.britainfirst.org, Callum Hyde and Maria Faciolince