Voters on the rise

The referendum draws in the crowds

You’ve seen the signs, banners with block capitals “YES”. Or maybe your eye is keen to the British flags in windows.

No matter your side, the referendum is a prevalent topic. Casual Brew Pub conversations are turning into discourses on the pros and cons of independence, highlighting the importance of the imminent vote.

A whopping 97% have registered to vote. The total number of people is over 4.29 million, making this the largest electorate Scotland has ever had. Predictions assume the actual turnout will be close to 80%, and the “missing million” (those eligible but not registered, or registered but not voting) may not be so missing. With over 118,000 newly registered in the past month, and close to 800,000 postal voters, anticipation is rising.

Adding to the increased number of voters are the younguns’, 16 and 17 year-olds who have the option to vote for the first time.In fact, the eligible voting pool is up over 300,000 from the 2012 Westminster election. Only two days remain until polls open at bright and early at 7am.

To keep the debates cool let’s all take Glasgow citizen’s Jock Gordon advice, and say “It doesn’t matter which way you vote as long as you’re making an informed opinion.” True dat, Jock.

Image courtesy of wikipedia.