Review: Independence Debate

The Big Question

The calm languor of a Thursday evening on South Street was disturbed yesterday by the snaking crowds waiting to get into Parliament Hall for this year’s Union Debating Society’s Freshers’ debate. It brought a frenetic atmosphere to St Andrews  as the path of Scotland’s future was debated in our wee town.

The motion, “This House would vote Yes in the Scottish Independence Referendum”, was proposed by local SNP MSP, Roderick Campbell,  Dr of Women for Independence and Joanna Cherry QC of Lawyers for Yes. In the red, white and blue corner that opposed the motion were Sir Menzies Campbell, MP for North East Fife and Chancellor of the University, John MacTernan, an advisor to the Labour Party during the Blair years and Stephanie Fraser of Bobath Scotland, a charity which helps to provide care to those with cerebral palsy.

The poll taken at the end of the night tells you all you need to know about how the debate went. With only 18 votes supporting the motion and 137 against, the cry was very much no from those in attendance. Speaking to an attendee afterwards, he said “the proposition, particularly their middle speaker, indulged in some grass is greener polemics which was vague and patronising in comparison to the factual and reasoned answers provided by those on the No side”.

With just under a week to go until the day itself, a section of St Andrews has had its say but it is important to remember that only one poll counts and that’s on the 18th of September.

Why not take The Stand’s Poll to tide you over until next Thursday?