Five things to do today – Friday

It’s Friday, Friday, gotta get down on Friday

1. Have a singsong with G&S Society

From 11:00 until 13:00 the Gilbert and Sullivan Society are hosting a meet and greet event at the Barron Theatre. If you like acting, singing, dancing and playing dress up, this is the perfect society for you. Go along for a chilled singsong and to find out about concerts later in the semester.

Gilbert and Sullivan Society performing ‘Iolanthe’

2. Eat and make music

Feeling peckish and poor? Go to the Music Society’s Welcome BBQ in St Mary’s Quad any time between 14:00 and 16:30. You’ll be able to eat and chat with members about getting involved as either an instrumentalist, singer or conductor.

3. Laugh with Blind Mirth

Blind Mirth, St Andrews’ improv troupe, are performing at the Barron Theatre for the second time this week – they also performed at CoppaFeel Society’s comedy evening and proved to be hilarious! Having taken part in the Fringe this summer is a testimony to their greatness, they’re all warmed up and will have you wriggling in your seats in laughter.

Blind Mirth, St Andrews’ improv troupe

4. Get crafty with exhaustion

When I read about Art Society’s Creative Lock-in, which involves being locked in the Barron Theatre with the St Andrews artsy crew all night, I thought I should publicise such an exciting and innovative evening. You’re advised to bring along tools for your artwork, such as paint and knitting needles. Be rest assured that there will be plenty of coffee to keep you awake until your release at 08:00.

5. Fridays @ The Union

Friday nights in St Andrews are a big deal. If you’re not keen on dancing to Ian’s DJ set at the Lizard, head to the Union at 22:00 for the newest weekly feature: Fridays @ The Union. Dance with your friends in a slightly more relaxed atmosphere and make the most of the Union’s cheap drinks – let’s be honest, we’re all feeling a little short of cash after a week of heavy drinking and chip-buying.

DJ at a St Andrews Bop

Images courtesy of allthingsd.com, owleyesmagazine.com, www.thesaint-online.com and www.st-andrews.ac.uk