Byre Theatre to reopen

Guess who’s back?

| UPDATED byre theatre st a theatre theatre

Having closed in 2013 under ownership of Fife Council and Creative Scotland, the beloved Byre Theatre is to reopen in late autumn of this year under the University of St Andrews’ management and administration.

The University has proposed a plan to revamp and revitalize the small arts venue, which will take place throughout a 25 year long lease of the theatre.

The University’s planned schedule for the Byre purposefully leaves plenty of room for usage by professional arts organizations, such as independent theatre troupes, who wish to use the space for preliminary performances before going on tour. A production of Jack and the Bean Stalk, written and directed by Gordon Barr, is already set to run this Christmas.

In addition to serving local thespians, the University hopes to utilize the space as an educational resource for students of Film Studies, Social Anthropology and English, as well as other varying arts degrees. For those interested in theatre, the visual arts or music, the University also plans to explore how the Byre could assist in providing career and internship opportunities in the creative fields. The University’s Music Centre will also be relocated from Younger Hall to the theatre.

The reopening of the Byre Theatre is a sure and welcome sign of the University’s commitment to the town’s local community, as well as to education and participation in the Arts.