Review: North Haugh Ball

North Haugh Ball: A classy event and one to remember.

The North Haugh Inaugural ball was something that was definitely better described as a Quad event. Weeks of planning by The Senior Student Committee delivered the black-and-white marquee that was home to the classiest, yet most debauched and glamorous event that a residential hall has put on.

In an act to prove themselves worthy of St Andrews, escape the North Haugh and its recent negativity, the committee definitely pulled out all the stops.  Starting the night with pre-drinks in both the prospective halls, the formal black and white dress code made sure that every party-goer was dressed for the occasion.  Sleek black tuxes, flowing dresses and the odd splash of colour filled the room. The energy of the crowd matched the electricity and excitement of the room, which had 100 meters of fairy lights hanging from the ceiling.

A ceilidh kicked off the ball. Being a representative of St Andrews event, it felt only fitting that there should be a Scottish element laced into the folds of the evening.  This was followed by a cool-down period, led by JazzWorks – a clever move on the musical organiser. A much needed break was required after the beads of sweat that had formed from the Gay Gordon. During this time, the white half of the marque was most populated for good reason. I felt as if I had been transported into a Mafia family wedding. Sparkling white tables and silver chairs tied with bows sat next to poker and casino tables, injecting a Bond-style glamour into the night.

After a relaxing Jazz set, the night nosedived into sheer anarchy with DJ April, followed by the house sounds of DJs, Tallent and Droscha. It was much needed to distract us from the excessive amount of free food. That was the clincher, what separated the North Haugh Ball from any other was an endless amount of free food. We were offered Candyfloss, Janetta’s ice-cream, canapés, and the infamous buckets of cake-pops.

The organisers paid real attention to detail.  Every table in the marque was dusted with black and white gems, disposable cameras, buckets of cake-pops and bottles of Cava. You name it, they had thought of it.  They even had a covered smoking area, two bars, seats and entertainment for those that were tired of dancing and a tennis-court sized dance-floor for those that couldn’t get enough.

It was most definitely the classiest and most glamorous night that the North Haugh has ever seen.  In fact, I’d go as far to say it was one of the best events that St Andrews has seen this semester.

Photos Courtesy of Callum Hyland