Five things you must do this week…

Why revise when there’s so much else on…?

OTR Applications – This week may be the first week of revision but it also marks your last chance to become a part of the 2015 On The Rocks committee… Following an astoundingly successful festival this year, you’d be crazy not to want to get involved and, with multiple positions up for grabs, it’s well worth applying. Take a look at their Facebook page and website for more details about the positions and the festival, and remember applications close on TUESDAY at MIDNIGHT. 

The Golden Seashells – Think the Oscars but with more drama, more selfies and red trousers… well it better be dramatic since The Golden Seashells is Mermaids’ inaugural awards ceremony and we’re hoping for tears, tantrums and cringey acceptance speeches. The society promises “glitz, glamour and theatrical celebration” all for a measly £5. The night will consist of comedy, wine, canapés, the award ceremony itself and a performance from The Just So Society – who will also be hosting an open mic. Come along on Friday to the Scores Hotel at 7pm to support Mermaids and help to end their year in style – it’s got to be better than Daily Mail Showbiz anyway…

Love is Music – Get yourself down to the St Andrews Botanic Gardens this Saturday from 1- 5.30pm to enjoy the sun and check out Love is Music – a new enviro-music mini festival being held in collaboration with Music is Love (hence the title…) and Transition. The first event of it’s kind – it looks to be a good one and a fabulous excuse for a revision break. With performances from Atom Tree (who were at the Under Canvas Launch) and Machines In Heaven, as well as acoustic acts from around Scotland, this must be the ultimate chilled afternoon. There will also be small workshops on Permaculture and general eco-friendly living throughout the day. Food will be supplied by Rory Mac Seaweed (great name), who dishes up some delicious healthy cuisine. Tickets are on the door and are £5 – keep an eye out on Facebook for the event page.

unnamed-1

Brian Taylor’s Big Debate – If you’ve been told you have a face for radio, this one is for you… Brian Taylor’s Big Debate (BBC Radio Scotland’s version of TV’s Question Time) is coming to St Andrews this Friday at Lower College Hall. Join St Andrews alumni Brian Taylor to debate the news topics of the week and grab your chance to use your university education and ask an intelligent question… Apply to be a member of the audience here.

Gaudie/May Dip – This week is overflowing with the wonderful St Andrews traditions that make this town so special – so don’t miss out… On Wednesday at 8pm, The Kate Kennedy Club (a big week for them since Sunday brings May Ball) are hosting The Gaudie – a torchlit procession, heralded by pipers, from Younger Hall and along the pier to commemorate the brave John Honey, who risked his life to save five people from a sinking ship off East Sands in 1800. The walk will end with a minute’s silence and a release of five Chinese lanterns.

Wednesday also happens to be the eve of May Dip – another must. Go just for the pure thrill and the amazement of seeing (and being) one of hundreds of students running into the North Sea at sunrise – beautiful. That and the chance for an artsy cover photo… Tradition at its best.