Football: quadruple promotion on the cards

The two women’s sides have already clinched promotion; can two of the men’s sides follow in their footsteps?

The football club has seen possibly the most successful season in its history as two of its teams have secured promotion and another two are poised to follow suit.

The women’s 1st team have enjoyed an almost flawless season, wrapping up the 2A BUCS league title winning every single game and not conceding a single goal. Despite losing on penalties in the semi-final of the SSS Cup to RGU on Monday night, they are eagerly anticipating the final of the Conference Cup against Dundee on the 26th March. The women’s second team, in just its second year of existence, has also managed to win its league, BUCS 3A.

The men’s 1st team, having become the first St Andrean football team to be promoted in 8 years last season, are still in the running for their second promotion in as many years. Although they are top of BUCS 2a, rivals Abertay have a game in hand and a superior goal-difference – this means that the Saints must win their final game against RGU and hope Abertay drop points in either one of their games against Edinburgh 2s or Glasgow 1s, if they are to clinch promotion for the second year in a row.

After many departures at the end of last season, the Saints had envisaged fighting a relegation battle; however, they have truly excelled despite a fielding a new-look team, and the fact that they could still potentially win the league should be a source of great pride for the fledgling side.

The men’s 3rd team has also seen success this season. They are top of their league with one game to go after enjoying a 100% league record thus far, winning every single game. A draw or a win in their final game would guarentee them first place in BUCS 8A

Stuart Milne said that he is “very proud of what the club has achieved so far and to think that we could have 4 competitive teams promoted this year would be incredible.

“Credit goes to the hard work of the coaches and players who have made it possible and I just hope things go our way over the next ten days or so to make it possible.”