Stand Up: Kristofer Gravning, DONT WALK Director

We talk DONT WALK.

Undeniably professional, exquisitely polished and infinitely cool. And that’s just the committee. DONT WALK returns to St Andrews (or somewhere in the vicinity… ) on the 1st of March.

Kristofer Gravning, rising from a captivated audience member in his 1st year to this year’s Executive Director and general commander in chief, has grown up with the event, gaining the experience necessary to lead it.

Whilst proclaiming his main interest is not the fashion, we can’t help but think there’s some connection between his involvement with DONT WALK and the fact that he’s so well dressed. However, as this year’s Director, he wants to focus on both furthering the tradition and legacy of the event and, what he believes is the most important part, the charity. Without the charitable aspect, Kris suggests, there would be no point to the event: the committee want the show to have an impact.

Last year, DONT WALK managed to donate a record £23,000 and Kris and the team are hoping to match, if not better, that sum. This year they are working in collaboration with the University’s Centre of Peace and Conflict Studies and have decided to donate to two charities, ones they believe will really benefit from this size of donation. The Charities, The African Network against Illiteracy, Conflict and Human Rights Abuse (ANICHRA) and The Coalition for Work with Psychotrauma and Peace (CWWPP) fit clearly within the ideology of DONT WALK: born out of a desire to support the victims of the horrors of 9/11 and a continuing want to support conflict relief throughout the globe.

There is clearly a lot of personal interest shown in finding and working with these charities, with DONT WALK announcing them as their chosen charities when they visited St Andrews in the winter term. Kris seems genuinely inspired by the work carried out by the charities (with a concern for both pre and post-emptive work around conflict) and honoured both to be working in affiliation with the University and such worthy causes worldwide, testament to the presence DONT WALK is continuing to have internationally.

DONT WALK is a creative show through and through, with Kris saying it’s all about spectacle and performance (and, of course, fun) which appeals to his theatrical background.

DONT WALK, he says, is “a unique chance for us students to play with the fashion world.”

It’s well-known that DONT WALK pushes boundaries and has a somewhat unconventional nature, and with Kris hinting that there will be integration of the chosen charities into the show, we can only begin to wonder what to expect. The committee’s lips are sealed.

Speaking of the fashion, Kris says DONT WALK will be continuing to showcase younger, lesser-known designers and that they always aim to support talent.  However, there will be bigger, more conventional designers such as Topman present at the event. Regarding DONT WALK’s infamous retail store (who hasn’t seen those IIA caps around?), Kris is particularly proud to simultaneously be offering a platform for under-the-radar designers and to continue to raise further funds for charity.

Mysterious as ever, Kris gave us some hints around the surprises in store… On the topic of exciting guests, he mentioned that The Huffington Post will be making an appearance as well as some cool fashion publications such as Berlin-based Horst Und Edeltraut and Guest of a Guest.

On a note closer to home, Butler’s will be present at the show providing guests with a classier option than the usual drunk food. The gift bags this year are of a pick and mix variety with toothpaste, lipbalms, Norwegian cosmetics and promises of much more to be found within…

As for the After Party, we will get music from Deep House DJ Andre Crom who also founded OFF Recordings and St Andrews’ very own Calum Bryant and Theo Borgvin Weiss (hailing from Moodroom Collective). Kris says whilst the music in the show will be a mix of the conventional and the unconventional, at the after party people are meant to dance.

No comment on the venue, but they’ll have to confirm it at some point…Wherever DONT WALK actually takes place, it’s looking to be another stellar performance.

After Party tickets will be on sale today (Friday 21st), from 3-6pm at Forgans. Tickets cost £20.

You can find out more about DONT WALK on their website here.

Photos by DONT WALK and Irina Earnshaw