Under Canvas: Launch Party

Back and better than ever: Under Canvas 2014

Under Canvas are back and better than ever. They will be returning to St Mary’s Quad on the 19th of April, and this year EVERYTHING IS BIGGER – the committee, the capacity and the variety of music. Before the Under Canvas launch party at The Vic this evening, where we will see the official announcement of the line up, we sat down with co-directors Will Land and Val Voshchevska to talk about their plans for this year’s event.

Under Canvas (which started off in 2009 as a Masquerade Ball) continues to be in aid of the Cystic Fibrosis Trust – a charity close to the hearts of the committee. This personal interest in the cause and the continuity of the charity throughout the years means all who are involved are really committed to making Under Canvas a successful event, year in year out.

Will and Val tell us that they are proud to support the Trust, a charity not otherwise seen in St Andrews, and that last year the money raised went towards the development of new drugs. For the Under Canvas team, the charity came first and then the event – so seeing the tangible effects of the money they raised is very special to them.

So, why is Under Canvas different?

Will and Val believe that Under Canvas offers something new.  For them, the emphasis is on the music and this year there will be 5 acts for us to enjoy, including a repeat of the highly successful collaboration with Moodroom. There are even talks of a collaboration with STAR – adding to Under Canvas’ musical cred. With its festival inspired atmosphere, in comparison to St Andrews’ usual penchant for more formal evenings, the directors believe Under Canvas is more universal and accessible than most other events. This has to be one of the only events in St Andrews without VIP – because, as Will and Val mention, it’s not aimed at a particular crowd; they want everyone to feel welcome.

As for the venue, they believe holding it in the beautiful St Mary’s Quad offers a unique and decidedly St Andrews feel – a welcome change from the traditional Kinkell Byre and Lower College Lawn events. Hopefully, if all goes to plan, they will be lighting up the buildings around the quad to add to the atmosphere. Will and Val tell us that this year there will be a greater focus on the aesthetics – especially the exterior, and we can’t help but think their continued collaboration with ST.ART magazine will help with that.

Tonight the Vic will see Mad Jack in the Restaurant from 9.30, Throw Some Shapes in the Social Club all night long and Glaswegian band Atom Tree headlining in the Restaurant; a further testament to the credibility of Under Canvas to attract acts from all over Scotland.

As for the show itself, the line up will be officially announced tomorrow and ticket sales will be announced soon, but if you can’t wait until then – get yourself down to The Vic tonight to see the line up and party with the committee!

The launch party will be £3 on the door or FREE before 10.30pm. You can check out Under Canvas’ new website here