Stand Tries: Shinty

How my shinty début landed me in the hospital, but also craving more.

How can one best describe shinty? My housemate likened it to “hockey, but with no rules.” A shinty player later described it to me as “a mix of golf, lacrosse, hockey and cricket.” After my day playing the sport, I would simply describe it as the most barbaric, violent and exhilarating sport that I have ever had the good fortune to play.

When e-mailing clubs to ask if I could come to try out a training session, I was delighted to hear back from the guys at shinty. However, they had quite a different proposition to the one I was expecting. They were a player short for their upcoming away match against Aberdeen, so they offered me the chance to make my shinty début representing St Andrews as part of the starting XII. After being convinced that this was not a joke, I tentatively accepted, and the following morning I found myself on a bus to the Granite City for my first experience of this unique and idiosyncratic Scottish sport.

Despite fielding two players who had never before played a match of shinty, and having not recorded a victory for three consecutive years, I was told that confidence was high of a victory against Aberdeen. I’ll admit that, at this stage, I was rather sceptical about our chances.

Upon arrival, I was introduced to my team-mates, whose names included Goose, Furbi, Porridge and Peggy. I quickly deduced that these weren’t their real names, as is (apparently) shinty tradition, and I was given my very own “Hamish” nickname as a beginner to the sport. All male beginners are given a nickname with the prefix Hamish, and all the female players with the prefix Agnes. Therefore, before I had even got off the bus, I had been imaginatively christened “Hamish Chim Chiminey Chim Chiminey Chim Chim Cher-oo.” Don’t ask me why – your guess is as good as mine.

Luckily, this rather convoluted title was soon shortened to the much simpler “chim chim”, by which I was referred to for the rest of the day. I was then given a crash course in the rules and regulations of the game. This is when I really started to have my doubts about the legitimacy and safety of this sport. I was taught the basic arts of dribbling, blocking, passing, shooting and finally “cleeking”, where you catch the stick of the opposing player from behind as they draw it back to hit the ball. This nefarious tactic, which I could only describe as barbaric, is not only accepted in shinty, but actively encouraged.

We proceeded to watch the St Andrews Women’s team demolish their opponents 10-0 in a convincing and skillful performance, which set a very high standard for us to follow. So, as we took to the field, I admit that my nerves were jangling. The game starts with a face off in the middle. Tension was at boiling point. I was frankly surprised that neither side began a Scottish variation of the Haka. The illusion of terror was soon shattered by the call for the captain’s to step forward, which was greeted by cries of encouragement from our side for “Goose”, and for “Hopper” from our opponents. It would appear that nicknames are not chosen for the purpose of intimidation.

Before I relate the events of the match itself, I feel the need to qualify my use of the term “kick-off”. I believe the proper name for it is actually a “throw up”, and it involves the referee throwing the ball up to a maximum 12 feet into the air, then allowing one player from either team to frantically wave their sticks at it as it falls in order to try to win possession. Suffice to say, I am glad I wasn’t one of the two players in the middle competing for it. Despite my nerves, I quickly found myself growing into the game. It was free-flowing affair and chances were being forged at both ends in the opening stages. I had my reservations before the game about our chances, but we were more than a match for our opposition and found ourselves growing in confidence.

On the ten minute mark, the ball broke loose on my wing after some hardy battling from Macavity, our only female player in the starting XII. I latched onto it and managed to push the ball across the box and into the path of Joules who fired home from close range to give us an early lead.

Macavity eluding her markers

Aberdeen were shaken, but piled on the pressure and managed to claw a goal back on the fifteen minute mark. Although this was a setback, the Saints renewed the pressure and bombarded Aberdeen’s goal.

After a fierce shot from veteran Peggy was blocked by the ‘keeper, I found myself first to the ball and tried to hook it into the corner of the net. However, hopes of a debut goal were shattered by the keeper’s right foot, and the ball skewed away from goal once more.

Luckily, Joules was on hand to expertly fire home once more and restore St Andrews’ lead.

St Andrews experienced a good spell of dominance; Dodi was working superbly in midfield with Jerald and Trotter to ensure that we dominated possession, and Peggy and Joules were combining well up front. Joules, in particular, was looking potent, and came close to scoring on numerous occasions. Macavity was playing a central role in link up play in the advanced positions, her fierce Irish nature allowing her to win possession time and time again from her frustrated marker.

Once again, however, Aberdeen managed to claw one back in spite of the valiant effort of The Saints’ defence. They managed to bundle the ball home just before half-time in a scrappy goal-mouth scramble to level the scores as we went into the break.

Dodi clearing his lines

We started the second-half strongly, and for a while the game was very even. However, our legs grew tired with a lack of substitutes and Aberdeen used this to their advantage, taking control of the match as we struggled to keep pace.

It was at that moment when disaster struck. In an attempt to block a shot, I foolishly threw myself at the ball only to be hit by the stick of the Aberdeen striker just to the side of my knee-cap. After several minutes thrashing around on the floor like a wounded seal (and probably sounding like one too) I limped off the pitch leaving St Andrews with only eleven men.

After a few minutes recovery, I briefly rejoined the field, only to be forced off again as the swelling in my knee grew steadily worse. Luckily, one of the girls (Screepy, I think, but I admit that pain was clouding my reporting ability at this point…) stepped up to the plate and took my place, performing superbly and certainly showing me how the sport is played properly. Whilst reduced to eleven players, St Andrews had conceded a couple of goals and were now facing an uphill battle. Heroic defending and goalkeeping was not enough to prevent several more goals from the prolific Aberdeen striker, and thus the final score ended up 8-2 to a jubilant Aberdeen side.

Even Captain Goose’s defensive heroics weren’t enough against strong opposition

This group of shinty-ers is one of the friendliest and liveliest I have had the pleasure to meet in my time in St Andrews, and the sport is certainly the most action packed and entertaining that I have ever played. Although I face a lengthy lay off with a suspected torn cruciate ligament, this is a club that I would have no qualms in joining next semester.

So, if I could summarise the message of this article in one line, I would say this: If you have never played shinty before, do – you won’t regret it (as long as you don’t try to block a stick with your knee)!

At least this gives me plenty of material for my article…

I would like to thank the shinty team for the chance to play in the match and for all the get well messages. I also send thanks to the numerous medical staff who were forced to prod and poke at my sweaty, swollen leg for some hours last Saturday night.

If you are interested in playing shinty, you can e-mail them at [email protected] or [email protected]. I hope that I’ve managed to sell the sport to you in spite of my personal misfortune. I reiterate – it is a fantastic sport played by a great group of people!

In related news, there may be a lengthy delay between this Stand Tries article, and my next one…

Images courtesy of  World of Shinty