Sophie Butler: Scissor Success

Shari Sharpe cuts to the chase at Sophie Butler

My haircut at Sophie Butler’s Salon this past week happened to be my first hair cut in Scotland—and the UK for that matter. Located on Greyfriars, I walked in for my 10am appointment with Head Stylist, Jen Birrell. £35.50 for a dry-cut with invisible layers added.

Upon arrival, I was offered a refreshment from a wide assortment—even my boyfriend got offered a drink when he walked in to watch the snipping action. They have coffees, teas, cold drinks, hot chocolate, and yet, I went for filtered water.

The morning was filled with soothing music. This provided a calming atmosphere, which was greatly needed, as I was about to lay my trust in someone else’s hands. If you have never been into Sophie’s salon, the space has a nice separation: a staircase leads you to where the hair “magic” happens. Lots of reading material; everything from flyers to vouchers and magazines filled the coffee table of the waiting area. The staff were friendly and assertive, and thus, I must say, the overall environment was warming and comfortable.

As for the process, it was quick and trouble-free; I have zero regrets. Jen was informative about the treatments they offer (i.e. hair smoothing and styling for events). She knew how to handle my hair—which is, when natural, extremely tight curls—and she offered for me to come back in if my hair did not feel light enough once I had styled it myself the next day. (Very kind!) The staff and stylists carried simple, healthy hairstyles of their own, and I always think that’s a good thing to look out for when entering a hair salon… for obvious reasons.

Afterthoughts: For students, the pricing may be a turn-off compared to other salons in town. However, they do have junior stylists priced at £26.50. If looking for proper treatments or a special blow-dry and curl for the next ball, definitely go to Sophie Butler’s salon. Though, if a cut is all you need then maybe it is wiser and more economical to go elsewhere in St A. Either way, they have definitely gained a new regular client: myself.

The clientele at Sophie’s ranges anywhere from student to retired town local, from golfing tourists to children. Also, they carry a range of GHD products (which I highly recommend checking out if you’re into applying heat to your hair like me. I bought the limited edition IV lemon professional styler from Sophie Butler’s last spring and couldn’t be happier). The staff are more than knowledgeable about straightening and blow-drying products, as well as brushes and hair serums etc., so just go in and ask!

As of September 30th, expect to see Sophie Butler’s salon occupy 191 South Street. The new space is meant to be larger and therefore more spacious for their clients. Not to mention, it will be complete with entirely new décor. Customers, new and old, are in for a treat! See you in six weeks, Sophie! Maybe I’ll do something a little more daring…

image © Shari Sharpe