Cat injustice: it’s a catastrophe

With the recent influx of puppy love, we’ve discovered a new kind of therapy. That is to say, Puppy Therapy. Edinburgh and Aberdeen are no longer the only Universities offering […]

With the recent influx of puppy love, we’ve discovered a new kind of therapy. That is to say, Puppy Therapy. Edinburgh and Aberdeen are no longer the only Universities offering aforementioned exam detox. Tickets are already sold out for the next event at the Salad Bowl. After all, what better way to de-stress from revision anxiety than to hold a cute warm ball of fur in your arms for a couple of hours? Having grown up with four dogs, I’m all for puppy love, believe me. However, this new trend begs the question: what about the other animals? Puppies are known for being adorable, it’s true, but there are plenty of other fish in the sea, who could benefit from spending quality time with students. Take cats, for example…

Cats are just as loving as dogs. Cats are just as loyal as dogs. To borrow a (slightly altered) line from Mean Girls, “What’s so great about dogs? Cats are just as cute as dogs. Cats are just as smart as dogs. People totally like cats as much as they like dogs”. Maybe it’s because cats are always portrayed as villains. Evil cats dominate the media and give domestic house cats everywhere a bad name. Mufasa’s brother, the diabolical Scar from The Lion King or the cunning tiger, Shere Khan, courtesy of The Jungle Book. Why must cats always play the villain? Perhaps they make a more convincing and stereotypical antihero with their sharp claws and menacing smiles.

Cats also get a bad rap when it comes to superstitions. Not only do black cats represent bad luck if you happen to see one on the street but there are even lesser known superstitions regarding cats as well. For example, in Normandy, seeing a tortoiseshell cats foretells death by accident. In England, seeing a white cat on the way to school is known to ‘forebode trouble’…

Image

Cats are wonderful furry creatures and it’s a grave injustice that they are always discriminated against. People love cats just as much as they love dogs. We need only look at prime examples like Hamish McHamish and Garfield to see that, in reality, cats are just as universally loved as any other domesticated creature. Cats have excellent qualities, such as keeping houses free of annoying pests and entertaining for hours by playing with string and hiding in boxes. Cats feature prominently in memes, creating some of the most popular ones around. Who can forget the irresistible charm of LOLCats or the hilarity of ‘I Can Has Cheeseburger’? Cats make excellent pets, and are prized animals for many. Ultimately, we should give cats a chance, because they have as much to offer us as Puppy Love, villain comparisons and all. 

http://wallpaperswide.com