Student run businesses: Mo money mo problems

If deadlines and getting to Tesco before 10 aren’t enough #firstworldproblems to worry about, a number of students are taking all of this in their stride and running a business […]

If deadlines and getting to Tesco before 10 aren’t enough #firstworldproblems to worry about, a number of students are taking all of this in their stride and running a business on top. Student run businesses are on the rise, and with numerous gaps in the market, it’s hardly surprising. Alcohol, chips, pizza and clothes – we’re covered. But there’s so much more on offer, and it’s our very own kin that are to the rescue. Uni is meant to further our education, and, frankly, the best way of doing that is to get out there and actually do something. Yes, there’s only so many hours in a day, but if they can do it, so can we.

Apollo Screen Repair

One that’s been hitting the headline recently has been Apollo Screen Repairs, who “provide pristine repairs for your iPhone”. The brains behind the project Melkon Charchoglyan, who co-runs it with Walter Luse said, “It takes up a fair bit of time and sometimes we do have put a few things on hold in order to make sure the business is running smoothly. But nonetheless, it’s fun and it keeps us on our toes”.

Krispy Kreme

It’s not just our technology that’s being fixed. Seamstresses, fine clothes suppliers, photographers, and food vans (look out for the guys in the buffalo wing van – their fabled delicacies should be known by everyone) seem to be surfacing at an exponential rate and are run by that guy or gal you sit across from in IR or indeed Economics… 
Gabriel Ross, an economics and management first year, has come up with the idea of supplying us with Krispy Kreme doughnuts every Wednesday during exam week. Brill! If there’s a time we need a sugar high, that would be it. When asked about how he sees doing business with his fellow classmates Ross said, “We, students, are challenging to enterprise in a sense that we really seek value for money and quality of service”. Well trust us, with food involved, you’ve got it right! 

Buffalo Food Truck

Back to the buffalo men. The Buffalo Food Truck is owned and operated by Hugo Ushida and Alexander Wang serving up crispy wings in a variety of sauces. NEED! They said, “The business has taken a lot of time, effort, and money to establish, but it has been the most educating experience we both have had so far at the University”.

I really feel inadequate as I sit in my bed until 4pm knowing that someone, somewhere is getting their business hat on and doing some ‘real’ work. To those, I salute you. In fact, knowing that students can run a business (and a successful one at that) should be enough to encourage the rest of us. Personally I miss sushi, and having a dedicated shop here would have me banging on their door all day every day. Personal trainers? After all that sushi, I’d certainly be up for that!
 Uni isn’t just about lectures and drinking you know, and there are enough successful examples of student run businesses out there to spur you on. 

Image courtesy of https://www.facebook.com/buffalofoodtruck?fref=ts