Saturday Night Battle: Rugby 7’s vs. Under Canvas

Rugby 7’s vs. Ünder Canvas: almost as difficult a decision as choosing between milk and dark chocolate Digestives. Alas, unless you are in personal possession of a Time-Turner, this coming […]

Rugby 7’s vs. Ünder Canvas: almost as difficult a decision as choosing between milk and dark chocolate Digestives. Alas, unless you are in personal possession of a Time-Turner, this coming Saturday you’ll have to pick between St Andrews’ mini music festival and the afterparty following a sweaty day at the rugby pitches.

Rugby 7’s

No longer just for St Andrews girls looking for rugby guys hailing from all around the UK. The ‘Largest Student-run 7’s Tournament in the UK’ now includes a women’s tournament. So for those looking for a “fit” female, be sure to purchase a ticket. Pleased with the success of last year’s afterparty, many plan to go, according to one female netball player, ‘because of the ratio it’s like the one night I’m guaranteed to pull’.

Though the Union may not have the same ring to it as St Mary’s Quad, the cheaper ticket allows for a freer booze budget. Tournament participant Ciarán Harries commends both the actual rugby playing and the afterparty in describing the 7’s experience as ‘a great day out with friends, especially if the weather’s great, followed by the one of the loosest (or eagerly anticipated) nights on the St Andrews social calender’.

Ünder Canvas

Though a bit pricier than the Rugby 7’s afterparty ticket, Ünder Canvas boasts talents from Boiler Room attendees to Moodroom Collective as well as offering Coachella lovers a familiar festival dress code. Hello jorts and Converse? The festival will also provide us with a much-needed change of scenery to the fashion shows’ Sallies’ Quad and Kinkell venues by making their debut in St Mary’s Quad.

If the impressive lineup doesn’t particularly catch your eye/ear, you should at least consider this tiny ‘T in the Park’ for its charitable intentions. Ünder Canvas hopes to raise quite a bit of cash to aid the Cystic Fibrosis Trust, a charity surely many will appreciate and recognize. To top it off, the umlaut and Holi-esque adverts definitely guarantee a good time. Ünder Canvas’ own Tarleton Watkins says that this event ‘captures the spirit of Spring and offers the best music in St Andrews’, and asks ‘why not!?’

Winner

If you are planning to pre-drink, enjoy the discounted drink prices, or make it a true 4/20 (national ‘Murican pot day), I’m sure you’ll enjoy either event regardless of your personal taste in music or sexual partner’s athleticism…