St Andrews alumni leaves his fortune to the School of Medicine

Dr. Brian Ashworth, graduate of St Andrews class of 1952, has left a fifth of his estate to the St Andrews School of Medicine, totalling at about £600,000. Dr. Ashworth […]

Dr. Brian Ashworth, graduate of St Andrews class of 1952, has left a fifth of his estate to the St Andrews School of Medicine, totalling at about £600,000.

Dr. Ashworth obtained his doctorate in medicine from St Andrews in 1969, returned in 1997 as a senior guest lecturer on medical history, and died in Edinburgh last year at the age of 83. His bequest is the largest single gift to the medical school since it opened, and will “support research in areas such as cancer, infection and immunity, child and adolescent health and health psychology”, according to univeristy officials.

Principal Louise Richardson said, “Our great universities have always thrived because of the generosity of graduates like Dr. Ashworth. He received his university education thanks to a scholarship and he has generously chosen to create a lasting legacy with this donation.”

Chancellor Sir Menzies Campbell, North East Fife MP, added his own two cents and said, “legacies can be used in many ways to promote scholarship, to enhance the fabric of university life, to promote academic excellence and to preserve and protect the considerable heritage of bricks, mortar and scholarly works that are part of the unique treasures of St Andrews.”

Thanks to his donation, Dr. Ashworth’s legacy will survive for another 600 years. See you at the 1200th.

Image courtesy of e-architect.co.uk