DoES: Who will be our party planner?

Over to the Director of Events and Services – who will be organizing Freshers 2013? Booking the union acts and keeping the all-important alcohol flowing? The Stand sat down to […]

Over to the Director of Events and Services – who will be organizing Freshers 2013? Booking the union acts and keeping the all-important alcohol flowing? The Stand sat down to meet the people behind the flyers, and find out whether they can run the party…

Dan Palmer

Nationality: British

Course of Study: History

Can you tell us a little about the DoES position?

It has three main roles: firstly, chatting with the acts, booking them and running Freshers Week. Secondly, is to facilitate student groups, such as a  societies and subcommittees, provide them  with a venue for their events and offer any help they may need. The Union bar is also under the ‘remit’ of the DoES, although they can’t quite make all the decisions! Think of the DoES as an advocate of student opinion, who can fight for changes.

What parts of that are you going to be focusing on?

I want an exceptional Freshers 2013! I was instrumental in running 2012, and this year we must give them an even better time, as right after Freshers we lose the main bar to redevelopment. I’m also dedicated to keeping the bar prices as low as they can be, keeping current drinks seals and advertising more, and putting on a wide range of events. Comedy, a’capella, dance nights, plays – diversity is the key!

Time to get a little more personal! Where can we find you on a Friday night?

Often I’ll be behind the scenes tech-ing for events! But I do love going to the bop, so if I’m not backstage I’ll be there. Or maybe on the sofa with a packet of digestives…

What’s your favourite thing about St Andrews?

No hesitation – West Sands. I fell in love with it when I came up for an open day, and I think it sealed my decision.

What halls did you live in?

DRA – Nisbet! It was really great but I do wish I’d had a chance to been in Sallies or something at some point. It would have been quite an experience!

Single?

At the moment…

Why do you want this?

I just really like helping people with their events. My energy and dedication comes from that I think!

Fionuala Glover

Nationality: Northern Irish

Course of Study: Modern History

So tell us a little about your campaign?

I want to increase communication between the DoES and the students: who the DoES is, and what they can do for them. I’d like to advocate an open door policy, with ideas coming from students. Also, I pledge to actively seek out drinks companies that would be willing to run promotions through our union bar – although the DoES cannot do much about minimum pricing on alcohol, they can work ensure a varied menu of promotions that would be tailored to certain events.

Where can we find you on a Friday night?

When I am not working in the Central Bar I am yoloing to the maximum. You can find me party hopping through St Andrews, bustin’ some mad moves at the Bop or in the Lizard or having a quiet drink in Aikmans.

What’s your favorite thing about St Andrews?

The people. Very rarely you will find such an eclectic group of people in such a small town. You never know who you will meet on a night out! Someone you met in your first day in halls, someone from class or a friend of a friend. We are a small town but an incredible social one – I think that’s the beauty of the Bubble.

Single?

I live by Beyoncé’s motto and apparently no one has liked it enough to put a ring on it.

What halls were you in?

I am Albany till I die. What we lacked in facilitates we made up for in spirit. I haven’t lived there for 3 years but am proud to say that I am still an active member of the Albany community and this year will be my fourth year in a row attending the Albany Ball, aka the most anticipated event of the year!