Review: TEDx Launch

The launch of TEDx St Andrews was celebrated in typical St Andrews style at the Golf Hotel on Thursday 21st February. Doors opened at eight sharp and the room quickly […]

The launch of TEDx St Andrews was celebrated in typical St Andrews style at the Golf Hotel on Thursday 21st February. Doors opened at eight sharp and the room quickly filled with people holding TEDx inspired red cocktails, and not-so-subtly making the most of the delicious canapés supplied by Balgove Larder.

TED stands for Technology, Entertainment, Design and prides itself on bringing together the best speakers and public performers from around the world. TED then makes their TEDtalks available to the world for free in the hope that their ideas will inspire and spread across the globe. TEDx St Andrews is an independently organised event that will take place in April and it is said that this year’s list of speakers, which is yet to be released, is nothing if not impressive. Presenters will be asked to talk about what drives them and what their future plans involve.

Image

The atmosphere on Thursday evening was relaxed yet anticipatory and the first speaker certainly didn’t disappoint. Geordie Stewart, the youngest Brit ever to complete the 7 summits challenge as well as the first St Andrews student ever to climb Mt. Everest, began the evening by recounting the struggles he faced during his endeavour. His speech, titled ‘Dare to Dream’, mentioned both the physical and mental obstacles he encountered on the way, as well as how he overcame them. As a passionate and well-spoken individual, Geordie definitely set the bar high for the acts that followed.

After a brief interlude that included a charming performance by The Other Guys with several of their classic numbers, the next speaker was ushered into the spotlight. Harshad Sambamurphy, a confident speaker (who then went on to perform as part of the freestyle rap duo ‘Lyrical Surgery’ later in the evening) began by describing his childhood and the famous icons who inspired him along the way. His ideas on the importance of individuality were well received and some of his anecdotes resulted in big laughs from the audience.

All in all, the launch party was a different but certainly very enjoyable event which left me feeling inspired to make the most of my time at university. The live jazz band did an excellent job of entertaining the room between talks. The problems mentioned by guests as part of the ‘What’s Your Problem?’ idea were pretty amusing too, some highlights being ‘salmon trousers’ and ‘boxers that ride up’. Don’t miss out on the main TEDx St Andrews event – it promises to be a big one!

Images © TedXUniversityofStAndrews