St Andrews says “yes” to conflict-free minerals

In 2012 St Andrews students formed the Coalition for a Conflict Free Campus, a group of representatives from humanitarian societies who called for the university to declare its opposition to […]

In 2012 St Andrews students formed the Coalition for a Conflict Free Campus, a group of representatives from humanitarian societies who called for the university to declare its opposition to the use of ‘Conflict Minerals’.

Conflict minerals are minerals such as tin, tungsten, gold and other valuables that end up in everyday electronics such as laptops, light bulbs and phones, while the mining of these minerals provides tens of millions of pounds to the armed groups operating in the eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC). This continues a cycle of violence, which has resulted in the deaths of over 6 million people, the displacement of thousands and the largest and bloodiest conflict since World War II. 

In June 2012, St Andrews became the first university in the UK and Europe to incorporate Conflict Minerals into its procurement policy. The Coalition is calling for the EU to propose legislation addressing the trade of conflict minerals immediately and to instigate harsher checks on electronic companies. Until legislation targeting the procurement of conflict minerals is brought into place, companies such as Nokia, Samsung and Apple are contributing to the conflict in the DRC. 

The St Andrews Coalition have launched a video demanding that the EU take notice of the call for change and act now on conflict minerals. You can also sign the petition on change.org to help end the connection between the EU, electronics companies and one of the worst humanitarian situations in our time.

Image courtesy of www.guardian.co.uk