Five things you must do this week…

Stereoscope Magazine Submissions: St Andrews’ very successful photography magazine is calling for submissions for its fourth issue and exhibition, with the theme of ‘The Everyday’. Asking us all to think […]

Stereoscope Magazine Submissions: St Andrews’ very successful photography magazine is calling for submissions for its fourth issue and exhibition, with the theme of ‘The Everyday’. Asking us all to think about ‘what happens when nothing happens?’ Submissions can extend to written works as well as any kind of photograph, individual or in a collection. Take a look at their website for inspiration from their previous issues, and get your submissions in by 3rd March here, or hand hard copies in to the School of Art History.

DONT WALK After Party: Didn’t get invited to the main event? Never fear. You can skip out on all that dreary ‘fashion’ stuff, watching people who are better looking than you parading up and down a Kinkell Catwalk, and head straight for the main attraction: the After Party. With DJ set from Gavin Herlihy, fresh off a US tour and fitting us in before heading down to Fabric, the event even includes catering by The One and Only: Dervish. Hurry and grab your tickets on Monday afternoon, this event is always a sell out.

The Arctic Talks: As part of the Save the Arctic campaign, aiming to declare the Arctic a global sanctuary, the Greenpeace team are bringing a multitude of speakers to School 1, the Quad, on Wednesday night. With both professors and students speaking, the evening promises to be both enlightening and thought provoking, with topics including vanishing coastlines, the economics of climate change and artists’ responses to the issue. Beginning at 6.30pm, drinks in The Central afterwards. 

Gig Night/Geek Bop: This Friday the Union presents an evening of music from a range of different artists and styles, from beat boxing to blues jams. Special guest MCMC Spoken will be there, Cornish rapper and freestyler, as well as Leon O’Rourke, previous winner of St Andrews’ Got Talent with his beatboxing skillz. Follow it up with a visit to the Bop – it’s geek themed! School ties at the ready everyone.

Elections: Everyone’s favourite time of year! Look out for terrible puns, copious numbers of leaflets, and of course the obligatory Market Street bedsheet signs – election season is upon us. If you’re interested in running for any positions of authority (think of the power…the power…) you need to register as a candidate here by Friday. This includes Sabbaticals, Debates President, Mermaids, School Presidents, AU President and post-grad positions. Remember to check the election rules! Blackmail and personal attacks, for example, are not allowed. Let’s keep it all above board: no more Florida 2000.

image  ©DONT WALK 2013