VFUK Previewed

Many great rivalries exist in St Andrews: John Burnett vs Uni Hall, Arts vs Science, Empire vs Dervish… But perhaps the greatest of them all exists between the a cappella […]

Many great rivalries exist in St Andrews: John Burnett vs Uni Hall, Arts vs Science, Empire vs Dervish… But perhaps the greatest of them all exists between the a cappella groups of this town. Four of St Andrews a cappella groups (The Hummingbirds, The Alleycats, The Accidentals and The Other Guys) will do battle with Aberdeen’s ‘Acappella’ and Glasgow’s ‘Choral Stimulation’ at the annual voice festival competition this Saturday evening in Younger Hall.

Bookies are still taking bets on whether the Hummingbirds, Accidentals or indeed the Other Cats will emerge victorious but one thing is for sure – it’s bound to be an exciting evening of parodies, sweet harmonies and vigorously rehearsed dance routines. The event is often where our groups premiere new material and always has a fantastic atmosphere.

We spoke to Other Guys director of choreography, Zane Yoyo, who told us, “With a man in charge of TOG choreography for the first time this year, you can expect some very different moves from the boys.”

Sabb Officer Meg Platt said, “The Voice Festival is without a doubt THE social highlight of February. Brand new a capella arrangements all night long and the Revue is hosting so there are sure to be a few good laughs!”

Some tickets are still left for the event starting at 7pm on Saturday. There will be some tickets available on the night at the door, but probably in very limited numbers.

Tickets available here.

Headline image ©jakubdostal.com