Stand tries: life drawing

Every Tuesday, 7:45-9:45pm, an opportunity to delve into the world of nakedness emerges from the depths of The Barron Theatre. It is categorically the best £3 anyone could possibly spend on […]

Every Tuesday, 7:45-9:45pm, an opportunity to delve into the world of nakedness emerges from the depths of The Barron Theatre. It is categorically the best £3 anyone could possibly spend on a Tuesday early-evening (£2 for members). Do you fancy a creative adventure, exploring different artistic methods, or maybe you consider yourself as a bit of a painting pro? Then this is the place for you.

There is always at least one naked person present, but if you stay after class, numbers may rise. If you’re lucky, two models might offer the gifts nature gave them. Some are intimidated to venture in and confront such bodily nakedness (I know that I was before losing my life drawing virginity earlier in the academic year). Detachment of the self from preconceptions of ‘normality’ and ‘acceptability’ is essential for enjoyment. You simply need to embrace, rather than shy away from, the presence of a naked individual standing in direct view. They are there to be stared at (granted, in another context this act would be socially frowned upon, whilst running the risk of being branded a voyeuristic ‘creeper’).

We are handsome creatures and Tuesday’s life class offers the perfect opportunity to acknowledge our universal beauty. Chubby, petite, mini genitalia, large breasts – everything is an art form and it is an explicit appreciation of our physical construction: not quite a live episode of Embarrassing Bodies. It may be difficult to conceive of public nudity without judgement but the former is by no means inextricably linked to the latter. If nothing else, the life class challenges our rigid way of thinking and forces us out of a parameter of comfort. After all, university is about self-discovery and trying new things.

At this juncture, you may be thinking, “What if I see the life model outside of the shrine to nakedness? The models, despite appreciating their beauty, are not confined to the walls of the Barron”. Stop. This exact scenario happened to me. I locked eye contact with a life model, we both knew that I had seen all that she had to offer, but if anything it induced a more sincere nod of acknowledgement when crossing North Street. No judgement, no awkwardness, no embarrassment – why would there be? We are all made of the same parts just with minor differences: size, shape and proportion.

The life class is a cauldron of vibes, sensations, observation, sensitivity and acute perception. By this, I mean that the artists and the models are very in tune with one another – if the model feels uncomfortable and timid, the artistic experience is the same. Immerse yourself and relish – this is no place for half-heartedness.