Five things you must listen to: Valentine’s edition

Regardless of your relationship status, I’m sure you’re well aware that this week plays host to Valentine’s Day, that wondrous celebration filled with love, romance and heart-shaped chocolates, and what […]

Regardless of your relationship status, I’m sure you’re well aware that this week plays host to Valentine’s Day, that wondrous celebration filled with love, romance and heart-shaped chocolates, and what Valentine’s Day would be complete without a playlist of amorous anthems to help you express yourself? Feast on this selection of tracks: whether you’re looking to profess your love to that special someone, or need some theme music to soundtrack your skulk along three streets scowling at anyone who looks vaguely happy, look no further – what you’ve been searching for is right here before your eyes! 

1) Beauty and a Beat, Peace

Up and coming indie band Peace rework the Bieb’s tune to make it less embarrassing/painful to listen to. Maybe your girl/guy can appreciate this slowed-down sentiment a little more than the original.  

2) Flushed from the Bathroom of Your Heart, Johnny Cash 

Maybe this Valentine’s Day just isn’t happening for you. For those recently heartbroken and feeling slightly sour about 14th February (which is totally tacky and over-commercialised anyway) fear not. There’s some Folsom Prison Blues for that. 

3) I Don’t Love Anyone, Belle and Sebastian 

This goes out to the downtrodden yet defiant singles club. Like Duckie of Pretty in Pink, you’ve tried dropping hints, hanging around outside bars, pitching a proposal to the parents and still, she’s run off with St Andrews’ answer to Andrew McCarthy. Slip on some headphones and wallow in self-pity. Just for a little while. 

4) Never Gonna Give You Up, Barry White

Regardless of whether they know who you are or not, get soulful with your Valentine. Just let it all out, baby, let those (perhaps obsessive, creepy and totally unrequited) emotions flow. 

5) Let’s Get It On, Marvin Gaye

Arguably the ultimate Valentine’s Day track. Whether you’re spending the day with a long-term lover, or are thinking of lurking at the Lizard to see who’s available, there’s nothing like a bit of Marvin to set the tone. Light the candles, press play and prepare for some sexual healing… 

Image: chopperpapa