Shopping Across the Water

If you haven’t come to the conclusion yet that St Andrews isn’t the best place for shopping, you will come to it soon. Though we have our fair share of […]

If you haven’t come to the conclusion yet that St Andrews isn’t the best place for shopping, you will come to it soon. Though we have our fair share of little boutiques, there isn’t a vast choice and after being into H&M for the 15th time, it gets tedious. It’s time we ventured out of our three streets and into the big, bad city that is Dundee…

It may seem daunting. A dangerous crusade beginning with a cruel thirty-minute bus journey across Tay Bridge (which, incidentally, did fall down once), and having to begin tactics to blend in with Dundee’s high street, (trust me, St Andrews students, it does not work) and attempting to understand the local lingo. Wow, it’s a wonder why anyone would bother… BUT you should. Here are a few reasons why:

Image

The High Street Stores – Britain has one of the best high street store selection and Dundee offers nearly everything you could ask for. A large Topshop, New Look and Debenhams in the Overgate centre as well as Zara down on the high street. Keep an eye out for the New Year sales, they’re definitely worth a look, as well as student discount nights; often a Wednesday or Thursday night where the shops open late for students and they usually give us a 15%/20% discount on everything. How lovely.

Vintage Boutiques – there are several of them in Dundee, very close to the centre and they always have a wide range of both vintage, reworked and vintage inspired clothes. One of my favourites is Maggie’s Farm (21 Union Street), which is a petite boutique that has a great selection of vintage and vintage inspired clothes and jewellery for women. They update their Facebook page with what’s in the store so you can spot any gems before it’s too late. Also, BECO boutique (4 Whitehill Crescent) is an all vintage store for both female and male customers, with a wide selection in different vintage periods from the 60s right through. Their fur section is always a treat too.

So step away from your H&Ms, and our over-priced middle aged women’s stores – get across the Tay and see what it has to offer. 

Images ©www.landsecuritiesretail.com and facebook.com/MaggiesFarmBoutiqueDundee