Review: A Night of Art

Last night, I found myself in the function room of Number 40, sipping on a flute of Dom Perignon champagne and admiring incredible local artwork. To put this into perspective, […]

Last night, I found myself in the function room of Number 40, sipping on a flute of Dom Perignon champagne and admiring incredible local artwork. To put this into perspective, the previous night I was on the sofa in my boxers, eating Nutella with my fingers. If you’ll kindly erase that image now branded on your retina, I’ll tell you more about the wonderful evening.

‘A Night of Art’ was single-handedly organised by a team of Management students, where attendees were able to peruse a variety of paintings and photographs from artists based in and around St Andrews. The exhibition included everything from striking oil paintings and delicate watercolours, to numerous close-ups of the human body, which ultimately involved guessing what they were without looking like a pervert. “Well, it might be an arse” was inappropriate dialogue for such an evening, and I humbly apologise.

Perhaps you can tell that I don’t know much about art, which I skilfully kept under wraps until my ticket was paid for. Anyway, the point being made is that this was an event that everyone could enjoy. The organisers ensured you were at ease, and provided a steady supply of drinks and delicious canapés. With a free bar keeping glasses topped up and conversation flowing, you might say it was great value for Monet!

Image

A live band performed a subtle score of chilled jazz music, perfectly complementing the evening’s atmosphere: sophisticated, yet relaxed. The post-exhibition party at Ma Bells wound the night off with a well-deserved celebration.

Personally, I can’t draw anything except a conclusion. This was a truly first-class event. An elegant experience providing a welcome break from returning home soggy with stale Tennent’s and a sore throat from screaming over Nicki Minaj. I only hope there are more events like these, it was truly a brush with culture.

Photos © Anna Gudnason