Blind Date: Molly and James

We sent James Gray, 3rd year serial dater, University Challenge BNOC and sports editor of The Saint to meet Molly Cram, IR student and Four Tops fan. James on Molly: […]

We sent James Gray, 3rd year serial dater, University Challenge BNOC and sports editor of The Saint to meet Molly Cram, IR student and Four Tops fan.

James on Molly:

Before the date what were you hoping for?

Good food, good wine, maybe even some good company. 

Before the date who were you hoping for?

Zooey Deschanel.

First impressions?

Molly was perfectly on time. My biggest pet hate is tardiness, so that was an excellent start. 

What did you talk about?

Everything and anything really, from Jewish fraternities to ex-es. We covered a lot of ground. 

Any awkward moments? Spill something?

Finding out that Molly doesn’t drink, and then ordering a bottle of wine anyway. I might as well have asked for a straw.

Did your date have good table manners? What was the food like?

Molly’s manners were, of course, exemplary. I had the peppercorn chicken which was really nice, and then some hot chocolate fudge cake, which was outstanding.

Would you introduce your date to your friends?

Absolutely. In fact, it’s probably not necessary, as this is St Andrews, and we all know each other anyway. 

Did you go on somewhere..? 

We didn’t; I’d had a bottle of wine and frankly, couldn’t really stand up.

Would you see your date again?  Or do you think it’s only awkward glance territory down the vegetable aisle in Tesco?

If she’s stupid enough to let me… 

Did you enjoy yourself? What was the Oak Rooms romantic table like?

The Oak Rooms was really nice. Being upstairs from the Lizard, I didn’t expect it to be as fancy as it is, and the setting was perfect. 

Rate your evening out of ten

From what I remember, 8/10. 

Molly on James:

I was hoping for a free dinner and good chat. 

First impressions?

I was impressed he was so punctual. Even arrived before me! And he had nice shoes. 

What did you talk about?

We pretty much covered most topics from our studies, to his involvement with the Saint, to gossiping about people we ended up both knowing.

Any awkward moments? Spill something?

I found it a little awkward when I realized I had been to his house as I served on the same committee as his flat mate. Hopefully that wasn’t too creepy and more “classic St Andrews”.

The food was excellent. I highly recommend their macaroni and cheese. 

He knows a good deal of them, but yes. 

Did you go on somewhere..? 

We didn’t. Were we supposed to?

Would you see your date again? 

For sure.

Or do you think it’s only awkward glance territory down the vegetable aisle in Tesco?

I find I run into all my blind dates in the cheese section…way more awkward! 

I had a great time. The Oak Rooms was very nice, though I was acutely aware that the waitresses were in on what we were there for. I felt they might be judging the quality of my chat as they walked by…

Rate your evening out of ten

10/10

Thanks to the Oak Rooms and Ogstons for providing Blind Date’s wonderful meals. If you’d like a lovely evening out set up by The Stand’s very own cupid, email us