Quidditch casts a spell over St Andrews

The home of the original “Harry Potter and Gin Society” and “MacMillan Society,” St Andrews is no stranger to the oddities of student interest. The newly formed Muggle Quidditch team, […]

The home of the original “Harry Potter and Gin Society” and “MacMillan Society,” St Andrews is no stranger to the oddities of student interest. The newly formed Muggle Quidditch team, however, may take the cake in terms of St Andrews variety.

The new organization has been founded by Cory Faniel, an avid fan of the magical sport. Faniel founded the club after following the 4th annual Quidditch World Cup online, and said “I had the occasion of playing with a French Team this summer and found it really fun but also much more athletic than I was expecting. Seeing how Muggle Quidditch is spreading in the world and in Europe, I thought St Andrews needed to be part of that.”

Muggle Quidditch is different from the game in the Harry Potter books (though if Faniel could find a way to fly, The Stand would be the most impressed). The seven players on each team run around the pitch holding a broomstick in between their legs, attempting to throw volleyballs into hoops and dodgeballs at other players to knock them off their trail. The snitch is a person, whom each team attempts to “catch” to end the game. Faniel says, “the Snitch is a neutral player who has every right, including climbing on buildings, getting away on a bike, throwing water balloons, using self-defence techniques to put the Seekers down… and he can hide outside of the pitch.” Common scene on a Friday night in St Andrews.

Officially neither a sport or a society, Faniel says Muggle Quidditch will most likey be a part of the newly formed Dumbledore’s Army (Harry Potter Society). Edinburgh’s Quidditch team organizes a large tournament every spring, which Faniel says “he would love to be a part of.”

Even if you’re a skeptic, Faniel says “I encourage everyone to try at least once; it sounds nerdy, but I cannot stress how physical and exhausting it is. The most sceptical people I know who have tried left saying they had a great time. Plus, did I mention it is a mixed sport?”

Image courtesy of the New York Times