Review: Welly Ball

Welly Ball has a strong grounding in tradition, adopting two features characteristic of student life in St Andrews: rather a lot of alcohol and good old Hunter wellies. The ball’s […]

Welly Ball has a strong grounding in tradition, adopting two features characteristic of student life in St Andrews: rather a lot of alcohol and good old Hunter wellies. The ball’s timing in the semester one calendar could not be better. At this point in the year, when you’re coughing, sniffling and caffeine-powering your way through the last of your assignments, what better relief from library purgatory than bouncing around at Kinkell in wellies and drinking an array of wine, ale and hot toddies?

Image

The Other Guys kicked off the evening as the dinner guests arrived. Fantastic as always, they provided some civilised pre-dinner acapella, which contrasted nicely with the inter-uni competition between tables to see who could lad-chant the loudest. Moving away from the not-so-civilised, Sünta und die Klauses opened the after party. A very enjoyable act, they put their own twist on anthems new and old. Their clever mash-ups skipped years from The Beatles to MIA and Jessie J in one ‘track’. I’ll be honest, by this point I think the wine was starting to get to me: from what I can recall, the DJ sets from Alex Bryson and B-Sides were excellent, as one would expect from two such established acts. I have little recollection of what they actually played, but I do know I was breaking out some of my best moves, meaning that while I looked ridiculous, the music was brilliant.

10 Dollar Shake’s bar provided very reasonably priced drinks throughout the evening, as well as offering some scrumptious cocktails. The Joules sheep crowns at each place setting was a quirky touch, adding to the ‘party’ feel, though I was disappointed by the lack of those hooter things which usually accompany such celebratory headgear. On the other hand, I was particularly thrilled about the photobooth. After all, there’s nothing like some literally instant photos of you and your friends pulling faces.

When you consider the concept of a ‘Welly Ball’, the two terms seem to sit together rather uncomfortably. Black tie and wellington boots? Say what? The theme can make for some rather random outfit combinations. But there is method in the madness. First off, I don’t know how other females feel about it, but I for one greatly appreciate any dispensation from the obligation of squeezing my feet into heels. Spending the night hobbling around, praying I don’t slip on a stray puddle of alcohol, then nursing blisters for days afterwards is not my idea of fun. Secondly, because the most part of your legs are swathed in durable, waterproof rubber, if anyone spills a drink or stands on your foot, you can’t even feel it! No shoes are ruined, no trousers stained. How novel! Expect to see me wearing my Hunters on every night out from now on. 

Of the many events in St Andrews, Welly Ball is one you should definitely not miss. You may wake up the next morning feeling as if you’ve taken a Hunter to the head, but you can take this as a sign that a damn good night was had.