Raisin Rescue: Academic family save drowning woman

Raisin Sunday was especially eventful for one academic family who helped rescue an unconscious woman floating in the sea at East Sands. The group of seven, who as part of […]

Raisin Sunday was especially eventful for one academic family who helped rescue an unconscious woman floating in the sea at East Sands.

The group of seven, who as part of their Raisin celebrations rose at 6am to watch the sunrise, were alerted by a dog walker to a body lying close to the pier.

Quickly realising that it was no Raisin prank, the students rushed into the water. Hannah Cope reached the woman first, and dragged her to safety, whilst Rebecca Hjendahl called for an ambulance.

Upon reaching the shore, they discovered that the seventy-five year old was breathing, but completely unconscious and without a pulse. As luck would have it, the family had brought a duvet to the beach and wrapped it around the nearly hypothermic woman whilst they waited for emergency help.

Once the paramedics arrived, several members of the family assisted carrying a stretcher off the beach and into the ambulance, which took her to Dundee’s Ninewells Hospital.

Second year, Jack Somerville told The Stand, “it was really surreal that we were the only ones on the beach at that time. I just thank God that we weren’t really drunk and so were alert enough to help.”

For first year David Juhasz it was an “unforgettable” and a very different Raisin experience from what many of his fellow freshers remember (or not remember, depending how evil their parents were).

Academic mum Min Kim explained that, “it was such a big blur. We were all quite traumatised and shaken, although positive at the same time.”

She added that, “It was difficult to get into the mind-set of Raisin afterwards, but it did really help us to bond as a family.”

The woman is still recovering in hospital.

One thing’s for sure, it’s pretty obvious that this family are raisin’ their kids the right way.