Blind Date: The Double

In a Stand first, we sent TWO couples along this week for a twice-as-romantic dinner at the Oak Rooms. Imogen and Kay, third year Chemist and second year Psychologist respectively, […]

In a Stand first, we sent TWO couples along this week for a twice-as-romantic dinner at the Oak Rooms. Imogen and Kay, third year Chemist and second year Psychologist respectively, are two flatmates who love great nights in playing Scrabble and skiving morning lectures for breakfast at The Vic. We sent them two handsome, second year, American men to join in their Scrabble games: Vic bartender Sean is Harry Potter obsessed and studying Film, whilst Alleycat Max owns 11 real ones and studies Management.

Sean and Max on Imogen and Kay:

Before the date what were you hoping for?

A good dinner, a chance to meet some fresh faces and fun! It’s always nice to meet people that you might not otherwise see on a night out or around town. 

Before the date who were you hoping for?

Good chat is key! But more importantly, it’s good to meet people who are willing to relax and be themselves enough to ignore any awkwardness. 

First impressions?

As it is in St. Andrews, we felt like we had probably already met both girls before! Turned out Kay and Max were already Facebook friends.

What did you talk about?

We started with the original fresher banter about where we were from and what we were studying, but eventually moved on to mutual friends and whatever similarities we shared. 

Any awkward moments? Spill something?

The waitress had to go away and come back 3 different times because we hadn’t chosen yet and we would forget to do it every time she left. 

Did your date have good table manners? What was the food like?

Max: I certainly don’t notice any poor manners, as you would expect. The food was really great, there was plenty for me to eat, even as a vegetarian. 

Sean: I went for the steak and got a cheesecake for dessert. Absolutely AMAZING. Much better than the pizza/pot noodle combo I have been accustomed to as a second year. 

Would you introduce your date to your friends?

Of course! Kay and Imogen were great and we’d introduce them to our friends or stop for a chat if we saw either of them around town or on a night out.

Did you go on somewhere..? 

We didn’t, but we stayed long after the desserts were gone!

Would you see your date again? 

We will do for sure.

Or do you think it’s only awkward glance territory down the vegetable aisle in Tesco?

Definitely no awkward glances needed!

Did you enjoy yourself? What was the Oak Rooms romantic table like?

The Oak Rooms were really nice. Perfect atmosphere for a date and their house wine was too drinkable. The food was excellent and we’d recommend it to anyone who wanted to impress a pretty lady.

Rate your evening out of 10.

8.5

Kay and Imogen on Sean and Max:

To meet new people, have a good time and a good evening.

On the way there, we were scared of ending up with a cocky Kate Kennedy boy or a geeky Astrophysicist.

First impressions?

Both were good-looking, welcoming, enthusiastic and the conversation flowed right from the start.

What did you talk about?

Everything from mutual friends, to creating a new Harry Potter society with a bit of DJ banter in the middle.

Any awkward moments? Spill something?

We got so carried away at the beginning with our conversation that we didn’t even look at the menu, and the waitress had to come back several times to remind us to order our meal.

Yes, Kay is very particular on table manners so she would have noticed! The food was amazing, though Imogen was eyeing up the cheesecake ordered by Sean and Kay.

Absolutely!

Did you go on somewhere..? 

We stayed there for more than two and a half hours, and then the boys walked us home.

Would you see your date again? 

Already made plans.

Not at all, more like a casual high five.

It was better than the solitary confinement table for 2 in the corner! We did have a brilliant time. 

Rate your evening out of ten.

10. We were just relieved that we didn’t have to hear about an astrophysicist’s dissertation! It was better than we expected.

Photo © Anna Gudnason