Golf, St Andrews and Phelps’ long-term relationship: Dunhill 2012

Our Dunhill correspondent gives us the key moments of the championship – in quotes! Day 1 Sir Ian Botham Under after day 1 is a great springboard. I played well […]

Our Dunhill correspondent gives us the key moments of the championship – in quotes!

Day 1

Sir Ian Botham

Under after day 1 is a great springboard. I played well today and am hoping for more!

To stand on the first tee at St Andrews is quite something. The history is special. It tingles. The hairs on the back of my neck stand up each and every time.

Happy birthday St Andrews, 600 years is quite something. Here’s to many more to come!

Image

Andrew Strauss

I had a good day, but going professional? The comparison between me and those guys isn’t even funny.

Nobody admits it but there is a real competition among the cricketers. Beating (Shane) Warne and (Steve) Waugh would be nice.

Ernie Els

It’s always nice to come back to Scotland. Particularly as the Open champion.

I hope to be here all weekend, but I don’t know how sober my team will be…

Sir Matthew Pinsent

Benign weather today made things easier for lumps like me, but I had fun.

Carnoustie tomorrow which is always tough. That’ll sort the men from the boys.

There is something a bit different about St Andrews. You can’t quite put your finger on it, but the greatest names in Golf have all played and won here.

Tico Torres

Today went well. I’m pleased shooting 9 under in this great weather. I have been coming here since 1996 and, let me tell you, it doesn’t happen all that often.

Me and my good pal Michael Douglas love the student parties. We’d knock, head in and have some fun. You guys are lucky to go to school here.

Happy birthday St Andrews, 600 years is really something.

Jamie Redknapp

It doesn’t seem to get any easier each day. I still have long rounds. St Andrews isn’t something special though, it IS special – just look around!

There will be plenty of red wine at the pavillion and the odd double-vodka tonic out and about in the town.

My Dad would love to play the Dunhill. He might be here next year, but hopefully he’ll be managing somewhere. He is driving my mum crazy at home.

Day 2

Martin Kaymer

I didn’t get any Ryder Cup communication from Angela Merkel. Not really surprised, she is a super busy lady and has better things to do than watch the golf!

Sir Steve Redgrave

It is tough for the professionals, they have to be oh so patient whilst I’m slogging around.

I don’t remember what the (rowing) start line was like, it’s been 12 years since my last time in a boat.

That said, it is definitely more nervous playing golf. At least in a boat, I won’t kill anybody at the off.

Oscar Pistorious

Didn’t have a great time today, but enjoyed Casey’s ball being pinched by a dog.

I had a practice round at St Andrews earlier in the week. To play there twice in a few days is a true blessing. The history and the tradition are really something.

I was so nervous coming into this week. I just wanted to get my first shot past the ladies’ tee. Thankfully I was able to do that. Just.

Greg Kinnear

Today went well, for all the other players?! For some reason Kingsbarns always seems to have my number. Hopefully my love affair with St Andrews will continue.

It really is a beauty of a course. There is so much history and tradition about the place.

The Dunhill is kind of like shooting movies. You have really patient professionals standing by as you run through take after take after take. It feels like home.

`

Brian Lara

Who do I want to beat? Can I say them all?

I play golf right-handed, but batted as a lefty. At the time in Trinidad, there were only right-handed golf clubs. I was scared it might affect my cricket too.

I think tonight we will all get together, have a few beers, a nice curry and watching Michael Vaughan on Strictly Come Dancing. That should be fun.

Day 3

Bill Murray

I haven’t hit very many good shots, but my group has had enough.

Caddyshack is the only great golf movie, I wonder why..

I’d love to be back next year; if only to have some more student parties. You guys know what you’re doing.

Dustin Johnson

I’m over the Ryder Cup disappointment. My energy is a little lower than I’d like, but St Andrews picks your spirits right up. The Jigger especially.

Michael Phelps

I got my picture on the (Swilcan) Bridge. That’s definitely one for the mantelpiece.

My long putt at Kingsbarns was a pretty cool moment. I didn’t think I’d ever make US television for something not swimming. My friends thought that was funny.

This is a great place for me. It’s a great place to visit and hopefully the start of a long and beautiful relationship. St Andrews, thank you.

Images ©Getty Images and Ian McIlgorm