Three things you must know this week…

1) North Korean Vice Foreign Minister, Pak Kil-yon, addressed the final session of the United Nations General Assembly this past Monday. Minister Pak was the first North Korean leader to […]

1) North Korean Vice Foreign Minister, Pak Kil-yon, addressed the final session of the United Nations General Assembly this past Monday. Minister Pak was the first North Korean leader to address the United Nations since the death of Kim Jong Il, and the transfer of power to his son Kim Jong Un. By referring to Kim Jong Un as ‘our dear respected marshal,’ Pak revealed some clues about North Korea’s foreign policy under its new leader.  Minister Pak said that United States policy towards North Korea has made the Korean Peninsula “the world’s most dangerous hotspot.” Minister Kil-yon said the Peninsula is one push away from nuclear war, and pledged to use North Korea’s ‘mighty’ military deterrent against ‘reckless provocations.’

2) On Wednesday evening, President Obama and Governor Romney met for the first time since the American Presidential race for the first of three debates. Moderated by PBS news anchor Jim Lehrer, the debate’s topic was domestic policy, focusing mainly on the economy. The debate highlighted the ideological difference between the two candidates. While President Obama believes that the federal government can spur economic growth, Governor Romney believes that the government should implement less regulation to create an environment more conducive to job creation. According to news media and Twitter-verse, Governor Romney is perceived to have won the debate against President Obama by confronting him about failing to lead the country out of the economic slump. To many of his critics, President Obama seemed disengaged and uninterested, and Democratic pundits accused Governor Romney of presenting false information – notably when he claimed he would not raise taxes on the middle class in his economic plan. Overall, neither of the candidates made new arguments nor any SNL-worthy gaffes (with the possible exception of Governor Romney saying he loved Big Bird).

3) On Thursday, Turkish Parliament approved a motion that allows further military intervention in Syria. The Turkish government clarified that this motion was not a declaration of war, but rather gives them the right to respond to any future attacks from Syria.  The passing of the motion followed the second day of Turkish forces shelling targets within Syria. Syrian retaliation killed five citizens in a Turkish border town; they have admitted responsibility for the shelling and apologized for the deaths. Increased border violence adds a new dimension to Syria’s civil war, which could drag Syria’s neighbours deeper into the conflict.