Cosmic Chaos

The skies of St Andrews came alive on Friday night as students reported mysterious streaks of coloured light. Were aliens attempting to burst our bubble or was it just a […]

The skies of St Andrews came alive on Friday night as students reported mysterious streaks of coloured light. Were aliens attempting to burst our bubble or was it just a post-party drunken vision?

In fact, it was a cosmic pattern seen across Britain.  Thousands were forced to do a double-take as the sightings were brighter and longer than most common meteor showers or shooting stars.

Hearing about the lights, fourth year Inês Cardoso commented, ‘As I stumbled out of StandBack, I saw a glorious light in the sky, which I followed like the star of Bethlehem to Empire.’

Third year Ashley Raghu said, ‘Whatever it was, it was really beautiful, although at one point I thought it may have just been the value vodka taking its toll.’

It is still unclear as to what the lights were, but experts believe it was either space debris or a scheduled September meteor shower.

Let’s be honest: it was no coincidence that StandBack was on that night; the party was so raging, E.T. wanted in on the action.