Back to the future: the return of oral exams

This year’s May exam diet will allow students to opt for an oral exam where they could be asked about anything they have ever studied during their time in St […]

This year’s May exam diet will allow students to opt for an oral exam where they could be asked about anything they have ever studied during their time in St Andrews. There will be no fixed time for the optional tests, which will run as long as the academic panel remain interested in what the student has to say.

The exam is being introduced as part of the University of St Andrews’ 600th Anniversary celebrations intended to give students a unique insight into the life of their predecessors in the 15th Century.

The proposal has been met with apparent fury by Association President Patrick O’Hare, who is concerned over the move which would destroy the anonymity of exams, and has begun (much to the delight of the University) a protest of silence against it.

A spokesperson for the University responded with their solution to his concern: “For those who prefer anonymity, we’re discussing the possibility of exams sponsorship with several paper bag manufacturers.” 

The Stand (being environmentally aware and all) questions the amount of paper that may be used as a result of the move. Our stand-out fashion reporters have also voiced their concerns over the unattractiveness of such paper bags.

This new style of exam has been welcomed by more orally-inclined societies. Incoming Debates President Alex Holroyd enthused “We at the debating society have always wished we could wing all our exams by chatting. It’s perfect for us!”

The Proctor, Professor Lorna Milne, looks forward to seeing students squirm. “I expect exams to be much more lively affairs this year: there will probably be queues of spectators for assessments by some of our more temperamental academic colleagues.”

Second year neuroscience student Anna told The Stand “I think it’s fantastic – it’s the real accountability and transparency we’ve all been talking about. As long as there are spectators there, why don’t they vote on whether to pass or fail the candidate X Factor style? My next suggestion would be to consider offering a life-line feature, phone a friend, ask-the-audience kind of thing!” 

John, a fourth year philosophy student, added “I’ve always thought we should do things more orally.”  

* Excellent April fool’s, press office. You almost got us. 

Photo ©  University of St Andrews archives