Facelift for the sports centre

The Stand can reveal that significant upgrades are in store for the sports centre.   ‘The University has been committed for the past couple of years to improve its facilities […]

The Stand can reveal that significant upgrades are in store for the sports centre.

‘The University has been committed for the past couple of years to improve its facilities and the athletics department is certainly no exception’, says Stephen Stewart, Director of Sports and Exercise.

The athletics centre has already completed the first phase of its renovations: a £250,000 upgrade to the fitness centre and the addition of a hockey centre were added earlier last year. Phase two is set to begin soon, says Mr. Stewart, and will involve the resurfacing of four outdoor tennis courts. Additionally, the construction of a new indoor sports arena capable of providing portable spectator seating for 400 is planned. The University’s goal is for spectator seating to not only benefit the sports centre, but also integrate it more with the entire student community.

Changes further down the road are a little more ambiguous. Plans are in place for a total refurbishment of the centre (paint, new roof etc.), and, you guessed it, the long-desired swimming pool. (Finally!) However, these plans are not set in stone and will depend on how much money is raised through fundraising. Currently, £7 million would be needed to complete all the renovations. Still, St Andrews students may at last be able to swim in a way which doesn’t involve jumping off a pier.

Another factor which remains paramount is the Athletic Union’s commitment to serve and support students. The University currently offers more coaching and staff support than any other university in Scotland, prominent among them are directors for golf and ultimate frisbee. And despite the lack of University pools, both the men and women’s water polo teams won championships this weekend. With this commitment in mind, the money raised is likely to go into making facilities more available to students.

Regardless of the precise details, major changes are coming to the sports centre which will hopefully enhance athletics facilities, involvement in sports, and the overall student experience. 

Written by Greg Pitts, newsstand writer