Sainsbury’s St Andrews surprise

The Stand can reveal that a Sainsbury’s Local (yes that’s right) will be taking the place of Macgregor’s Coffee Shop on Market Street. If you’ve ever felt that there should […]

The Stand can reveal that a Sainsbury’s Local (yes that’s right) will be taking the place of Macgregor’s Coffee Shop on Market Street.

If you’ve ever felt that there should be a moving walkway between the library and Tesco’s, then here is the solution. Not only this but a Sainsbury’s in town may spell the end of vegetable shortages and queues that rival the library’s new entrance system.

The Stand trawled around the Union to gauge student opinion. Third-year, Max Goodman liked the idea of competition with Tesco, “it’s going to force something that’s had a monopoly on St Andrews to really compete and improve their prices.”

Others, however, were less keen. St Andrews’ graduate, David Graves would have “preferred to see another fine cheese shop opening up.” Similarly, fourth-year Jules Findlay wasn’t happy about the news: “if it was a Waitrose, I’d feel much better about it.”

For the first time in living memory (Nisa’s existence feels like – and mostly was – a drunken dream), Tesco’s has competition on its own turf.