Five things you must do this week…

This House Would Medicate to Pass Exams: The Union Debating Society has obviously been paying attention to the stand (well done guyz) and this Thursday’s debate comes straight from our […]

This House Would Medicate to Pass Exams: The Union Debating Society has obviously been paying attention to the stand (well done guyz) and this Thursday’s debate comes straight from our Opinion section. Our ritalin piece has got people talking and if you too want to have your say, this Thursday at 8:00pm the Union Debating Society is hosting what’s expected to be a lively and revealing debate. Port served from 7:30pm.

RAG Week Launch Party: Love purple? Prepare yourselves for a purple takeover this Tuesday night with the launch of RAG week at the Rule. We’ve been promised RAG cocktails (will they be purple?) and a whole host of drinks deals. This is the perfect opportunity to sign up to volunteer for RAG week (10th – 18th February 2012), a week when the whole university goes purple and raises so much cash for our six nominated charities on the Charities Campaign. Oh and watch out, if you have too many purple drinks you might sign yourself up for RACE4RAG – the Charities Campaign will drop you off 90 minutes away from St Andrews in a secret location and you have to blag your way back.

Erol Alkan and Rory Phillips: Could we be any more excited? Erol Alkan, with a little help from Rory Phillips, is taking over Venue 1 this Friday night. Rollo has been getting the big dogs up to St Andrews this semester and Erol Alkan is no exception. He’s one of the most in-demand DJs in Europe, founder of London’s Trash Club, he helped launch Crystal Castles, Justice, Soulwax and Hot Chip. He headlined Rockness and had a massive set at Glastonbury this year. Tickets are available online and in Taste, and we’ll be giving away some tickets very soon. Stay tuned.

Jingle Bell Rock: Thursday sees one of our favourite St Andrews Christmassy events: the A Cappella Christmas Concert in Younger Hall. Our St Andrews groups The Accidentals, The Alleycats, The Hummingbirds, The Other Guys will all be performing along with Choral Stimulation, an a cappella group hailing from Glasgow University. A festive treat for your ears! Tickets are being sold outside the Union from 10am- 2pm each day this week and are only £5.

God Rest Ye Merry Gentlemen: Nothing makes us feel more festive than the University Carol Service in Holy Trinity Church. Doors open at 7:15pm on Sunday evening and expect queues down our beautifully lit South Street even earlier. Come dressed in your ball gown or tux before Mermaids Christmas Ball and belt out your favourite carols. Love is all around us, now come on and let it snow!