Look of the Week: All that glitters…

…is fabulous. Sarah Feeney helps you get into the holiday spirit with a sparkly new Look of the Week. …is fabulous. With coursework finally completed and the festive season getting […]

…is fabulous. Sarah Feeney helps you get into the holiday spirit with a sparkly new Look of the Week.

…is fabulous. With coursework finally completed and the festive season getting underway it’s time to let your hair down and celebrate in style. With Christmas Ball coming up this weekend in St Andrews, there is no better occasion to sparkle and shine on the dancefloor in anything that dazzles. Think sequins, metallics and lamé – a little cliché perhaps, but nonetheless perfect for ensuring you ooze with festive glamour underneath the mistletoe.

Autumn/Winter 2011 Fashion Weeks were packed with sparkle, with models shimmering down the catwalks for Oscar de la Renta, Miu Miu and Peter Som in glamorous sequined gowns, as well as flowing lamé maxis at Mulberry and Jenny Packham. Dolce and Gabbana undoubtedly led the way with their collection of gold sequined dresses (complete with a star-print combining two key trends at once) as seen on Diane Kruger on last month’s cover of InStyle. A red carpet favourite, sequined gowns have been spotted on the likes of Anne Hathaway, Angelina Jolie and Taylor Swift over the past year, as well most recently with Tali Lennox wowing the fash pack at the British Fashion Awards in a full-length gold lamé Mulberry dress.

For your own red carpet moment, check out River Island’s full length gold sequin dress complete with a cut-out back and eye-catching side split or French Connection’s full-length Silver Ozlem dress exclusive to Harrod’s or their stunning Lucky Star Halter dress, similar to Tali’s Mulberry version. If you’d prefer to be less dramatic, there are a wide range of shorter-length dresses available on the High Street. French Connection has the best selection out there in every possible style from asymmetric to a cowl neckline to a classic wrap dress all in beautiful shades of gold, silver or burgundy.

What’s so great about sparkle is that no matter what your personal style, you can make it work. Oasis has a darling bronze sequin shift accessorized with a black silk bow tied at the waist for those who are preppy but don’t want to look outdated. If you’d rather go for an elegant look, try their blush pink sequin mesh dress; vaguely reminiscent of the to-die-for Jenny Packham dress seen on Gossip Girl’s Blair Waldorf and Kate Middleton, it will make you look and feel like a princess. If hipster is more your thing, take inspiration from Balmain whose collection of grungy metallic blazers were a fashion hit, and pair one over a LBD with some killer heels. A great find is Zara’s gold metallic version, which is versatile enough to be dressed up or down. Other alternatives to the classic dress include sequined playsuits as seen at French Connection and Reiss or patterned sequin skirts from All Saints.

If you still aren’t feeling brave enough to shine quite so much, try accessorising a block-coloured outfit with glittery shoes, a clutch bag or some dazzling statement jewellery. Dune has a gorgeous collection of heels in multiple shades so you are sure to find a pair to suit your style. Check out Accessorize for clutches, and if purchasing High Street jewellery, ensure you opt for rose-gold to avoid a brassy look.

Some final last minute tips: try bronze, pewter or gunmetal shades for an updated take on the trend. If wearing a glittery dress, make sure you keep your accessories subtle or vice versa to avoid looking like an over-decorated Christmas tree.

Whichever way you choose to work it, whether it’s head-to-toe glitter glamour or a light dusting of shimmer, you are bound to be the belle of the ball and razzle dazzle ‘em.

Photos in Order of appearance: Ben Watts for Instyle © 2011 Warner Bros. Ent.; © Telegraph Media Limited; © CW © Getty as seen on Elleuk.com; © 2011 Oasis; © 2010 ZARA