Aberdeen anguish: Saints volleyball

After overcoming the whirlwind of confusion that met the Saints women’s 1st team on their arrival in Aberdeen, which included them having to move to a different sports hall (yes, […]

After overcoming the whirlwind of confusion that met the Saints women’s 1st team on their arrival in Aberdeen, which included them having to move to a different sports hall (yes, they have more than one), they finally took to the court. Ready to play it out, they took the first set 25-17. Although an initially quiet start, the Saints’ left-handed off-setter Emma Fox placed some strong hits into the corners, taking out the opposition’s defence strategy. Aberdeen attempted to climb back up with a combination of unexpected tips, but the Saints ladies had the backcourt covered, with Lorena Tussis leading the strong defence unit.

The second set was taken by the girls similar fashion, with two particularly strong hits from outside player Jeannette Viens that sealed the set at 25-21.

In the third set things started to get a little tricky. The defence was still strong, but a number of faulty serves and hits saw the Saints lose the third set 18-25. However, after a spirited huddle they came back to the court ready to roll. Particularly striking was the work in the back row, with Shannan Elizabeth and Maria Toomik picking up balls one after the other, placing them perfectly to the setter, Indre Semogas, who worked hard throughout the whole game, chasing every ball. The fourth set proved to be the most difficult of the match, with the Saints fighting for every point. The combination of exhaustion and messy play from the opposition set the Saints back 19-25.

It was in the fifth and final set that Maureen MacIsaac, captain and middle hitter, took the team in her hands, and with incredible stamina and leadership, pulled them together. At 8-13, middle player Hannah Berwian smashed three consecutive hits into the opposing court and brought the Saints back up to 13-13. Sweat was flowing, hearts were racing, but the fight was not over until Aberdeen sealed the game at 21-19 after three hours of intense playing. Aberdeen may have won on paper, but it was St Andrews that showed they have true talent amongst their ranks.

Aberdeen are already worrying about the return game- because you just can’t get lucky twice!”

Written by Maria Christina Marchi, grandstand writer