Alex Budman: Crispy cake

Crispy cake is so much more than just a delicious treat for Ella Woodward – it is a tray full of memories and happiness! Ever since Ella can remember, her […]

Crispy cake is so much more than just a delicious treat for Ella Woodward – it is a tray full of memories and happiness! Ever since Ella can remember, her mother has made crispy cake for her and her siblings on their birthdays. It is a true family favorite, and it’s about to become yours.

Ella and India Doyle will show you just how easy and enjoyable this dish is to make (and eat). Both girls live right across from the library, so on a semi-studious Thursday afternoon, they decided to drop the books and welcome in Halloween just a few days early.

While India grew up celebrating Halloween, Ella has never partaken in the festivities. Can you believe that!? From my understanding, Halloween isn’t as much of a lifestyle, phenomenon, or craze in the UK as it is in North America. A message to you UKers: Halloween is FUN! It’s fancy dress, and candy! Get into it, you will like it!

Going into her 3rd year of being around North Americans (Anyone else think St Andrews has turned into a mini America?), Ella is just starting to get into the spirit of things. She is ready to lose her “Halloween virginity.” Good for you Ells! Ella and India enjoyed the Trick (wicked cool skeleton outfits!) and the treat (more chocolate than I have ever seen consumed in one sitting) and proved that if you celebrate Halloween, fun and sugar highs will be present with you in the room.

Both Ella and India have insane sweet teeth. India’s love for sweets started when she was six, though she was only allowed to buy one packet of her favorite treat on Fridays. Now, she has a sweet tooth unparallel to most others. And this cake definitely works to fulfill that craving.

This chocolaty, crispy, and gooey cake is the ‘easiest cake in the world to make’, Ells tells us. As a bonus, if you are gluten or wheat intolerant, this will be perfectly suitable for you! So try the cake, it is so delicious and decadent, an instant crowd pleaser, and a treat that will trick you with how easy it is.

And more importantly, have a HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

Recipe:

2 large dairy milk caramel bars

2 packs of marshmallows

Whole stick of butter

Packet of rice crispies

Two big bars of dairy milk and sweets of your choice (for icing and decorating)

Melt together caramel chocolate, butter and marshmallows together (tip, add the marshmallows first). Mix the liquid melted ingredients with the rice crispies in a bowl. Place them in tray. Melt the chocolate for icing. Decorate to your liking! (You can put the cake in the fridge if you want the icing to harden.)

And TADAAA!! Crispy cake!!